heater failures

novafishy

lol i was on an american forum before i found this one so i'm kinda used to saying everything in their language. If your wondering it's 3.8L per gal. I guess i can start saying litres now.

100gal is 380L, it's not a standard tank, one end is rounded i think it's 5x1.5x1.5 not including the rounded bit.

Thanks buddy...it just takes some time to get around to... but use whatever you feel comfortable with.

anyway back to the original msg, i do think what Ash is saying is quite true. I believe in more "less-watt" heaters in a tank...but it does take up more electrical outlets, which is a pain in the bum, when in the fish room, you need every socket there is.

G'day

This thread seems to have started after my "Grandfather Bristlenose" passed away, due to a heater that cooked him.

In my experience I have had eight heaters fail on me over the last 20 months.

3x Cooked the fish. Two were cheapies, one was a stainless steel unit.

1- All residents died

2- Branchybranchus Male (the replacement stainless steel)

3- Bristlenose Male (about a three year old cheapie)

5x Stopped working and the tanks cooled down. Four were cheapies and one was a stainless steel.

1- Brachybranchus female died - Male survived until the replacement got him angry.gif

Now to stop people reading too much into this I do not have that many expensive heaters, however those continue to work well. dntknw.gif

I have a ratio of around 5:1 (cheap:expensive - heaters)

I don't really know what to advise people to do. Anything can fail, especially with me and electrical gadgets. However I can heartily recommend you heat the room and not each separate tank. This solves the problem smile.gif

However it doesn't solve it for everyone that must heat the tanks individually.

For them I would say that to buy a cheaper heater may be an error. Just consider how much the inhabitants have cost you (both in your time and/or money). I have stretched my planned replacement cycle too far and I am now paying for it with failing equipment. cryblow.gif

Buy the best equipment that you can get. Talk to others that are using the heaters in their tanks and decide for yourself what to do. PS I understand all to well how much money 30 (or previously 42 or was it 43) tanks cost to put top quality heaters into, but if a couple die and you lose some tanks how much does that cost you?

PS. I think it may be an error to put more heaters into a tank than you need to. You are increasing the possibility of any one of those heaters becoming stuck on and cooking the tank. We all lead very busy lives and for me some days I barely have time to feed them in a 24 hour period let alone check their temperature, especially if you have multiple tanks.

This is my opinion and what has happened to me. I do not say that it will recur with your situation. I know many people that have had no problems at all with cheaper heaters, then again I know people that have had multiple problems.

Ummm does anyone have a coin shock.gif

hth .... a bit maybe

Matthew

I think you've missed the point I was trying to make & just regurgitated "dearer is better".

If you have that many tanks that you can't check them every day, then not only is heating the room is more senseable, you have to question why you have so many tanks if you aren't enjoying them!

Lets just say I get very busy at work. But just because I don't spend time with them every day doesn't mean that I don't enjoy them when I do get some time. smile.gif

I honestly don't know if dearer is better but I do know that I have had the cheap ones cook my fish.

PS. The Scuba heaters sound interesting. Maybe they may be the ones to go for? dntknw.gif

well my logic goes as this.

If you cant really trust any heater brand, as it seems cheapo ones fail just the same as the expensive ones then the best thing to do is to minimise the chance cooking your fish. The only easy option for most of us (without fishy rooms) is to get these multiple heaters, although logically it increases the chance of one malfunctioning the damage of one heater going on on-lock is drastically reduced, depending on how many heaters you have. (e.g a 50W in my 380LITRES smile.gif is going to take a LONG time to cook my fish (unless it's a hot hot day) and a 25W probably will take a day to go up a few degrees) and in that longer period there's more chance you can find out and prevent the disaster.

The real benefit i guess is when one goes on off-lock, you'd still have the others to heat the tank, no dramas at all.

Also the cost of buying multiple cheapo ones i find is equal to buying one high output Jagar (or similar brand)

THe only problem i find with this is the multiple power point problem...is it just me or does everyone have trouble finding adequate power points? Also maybe it's just me but my heaters work very inefficiently (power light is on but not much heat comming out) if i plug them onto a powerboard, i'm no electrician but is it something to do with splitting the wattage/amperage or something thus giving less actual electicity to convert into heat?

PS. I really like these Scuba ones actually. THey dont cost much more then the Aqua-one's and i do believe to some degree that you do get what your pay for. I also like the feature where you can pull it out without dettaching the suction pads. However i only know one store in Melbourne which sells them.

If you have that many tanks that you can't check them every day, then not only is heating the room is more senseable, you have to question why you have so many tanks if you aren't enjoying them!

We don't have to question the number at all. There are two of us involved in this hobby and for over ten years, have not had an issue with looking after the number of tanks we choose to have nor the enjoyment of our fish. We are in the process of renovating and with a little more time our routine will return.

Thank you however for taking interest in our circumstances.

Aline

Ash..if there are two other people on this forum that enjoy and treat their fish better than Matthew and Aline, I'd like to know who they are yes.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Crikey, way to take it as a personal attack guys!

I know you guys love your fish, I was kinda hinting that maybe Matthew was working too hard, but whatever - go ahead & take it as an insult!

Every time I express my opinion or thoughts on a topic, someone seems to take it out of context & force me to reword & re-explain it until finally they get something they can use as above to make me look like a tool. I'm sorry I'm not part of your little clique but for christ sakes, I'm not looking for trouble!

The gist of my posts in this thread was suppose to be...

* Heat the room if possible.

* If not possible, use multiple smaller wattage heaters to lessen the chance of making fishy soup.

* Multiple cheapies in parallel could be less likely to make fishy soup than one brand name higher power heater, thus likely be more cost effective for an equal dollar of expenditure.

* If one small heater fails it will take much longer to make fishy soup, so even if the small cheap one is more likely to fail than a big dear one there is greater likelyhood of saving the fish.

* Multiple lower powered expensive heaters would be the best option, although this may make the cost prohibitive.

Yes I have no proof that multiple cheap>single dear but that's not the point. The point is when there is a failure with this multiple small heater method, only 1/2-1/3 of the heating element in the tank is stuck on so therefore the chance of loosing fish is greatly diminished. This is regardless of price of the heaters.

What is wrong with the conclusions above?

Every time I express my opinion or thoughts on a topic, someone seems to take it out of context & force me to reword & re-explain it until finally they get something they can use as above to make me look like a tool.  I'm sorry I'm not part of your little clique but for christ sakes, I'm not looking for trouble!

It was not my intent to make you look "like a tool" sad.gif and while we have friends on the forum we are not part of a 'clique' -far from it actually.

It is very hard at times to interpret the written word as it is meant to be perceived - and this forum has had discussions on this very matter before. I have had a week of individuals sticking their noses where they don't belong and my diplomacy is wearing thin sad.gif .

I admit I took offence to your wording and if as you say it was not meant to be abrasive, I in turn will apologise hug.gif .

As I am not that technically minded I will let others respond to the technical aspect of your last post.

Aline

As long as the wrong is corrected and people learn from their mistakes then everybody is benefited in some way (thats what i believe).

I like the logic Ash, thats what i was trying to say, Love the severum too, cant wait until mine get that big :D

Can't wait till mine don't eat their eggs! angry.giftongue.gifLOL.gif

It is very hard at times to interpret the written word as it is meant to be perceived - and this forum has had discussions on this very matter before. I have had a week of individuals sticking their noses where they don't belong and my diplomacy is wearing thin :( .

I admit I took offence to your wording and if as you say it was not meant to be abrasive, I in turn will apologise hug.gif

Aline

Thanks Aline, I apologise for unintentionally offending you blush.gif

Archived