Tropheus lover

Nate

Hey everyone hope all is well, I just purchased 10 tropheus they are quite large in size 6 inches or bigger...5 are I think bulu point cherry spots..they are black and have two red blotches one high near the body center and the other blotch is lower near the tail. and also I have 5...not sure what they are called but to descibe them they are black and just past the gills is bright yellow...the yellow color goes to right about where the dorsal fin ends and the tail fin starts..basically most of the side body is yellow....anyone have any clues???....they are all nice sharp color contrast...no dull or blended color. Anyways I wish I could of bought all 10 of the same..but weren't availiable. What are the chances that I will have some females in the mix of 5 fish each?? how can I maybe sex them?? unfortunately most have egg spots on their fins..I hope I didn't get ALL males....can anyone help..Thanks Much rolleyes.gif

hmmm...I can see this post becoming a "They are all dying" post in the near future...I really hope I am wrong tho dry.gif

I would not like to guess at the varients that you have as they could be anything. The Tropheus sp. "Black" that you describe does sound like a Bulu Point and the one with the yellow sounds like "kaiser" or "kaiser ll".

I would Highly recomend that you have a look at this site Steve's Tropheus as it is full of good info and run by one of our resident Tropheus Guru's. There is a lot of information about "Safe" numbers to house the Tropheus species in, that you should deffinately read.

You will find that there are conflicting ideas and theory's as well as different experiences for many Tropheus collectors but for a beginner the info given on that site is unbeatable. As they are not a cheap fish to buy It would be disasterous if you lost the lot to aggression because you had too few in each group.

p.s. this is in reference to the 2 posts that follow this one.

I get the impression that you were correcting each other, or me. And would like to say that...

kaiser and kaiser ll, means a term like "kaiser l" is superfulous. As an example there is not Australia A & Australia B, in the cricket. blink.giflaugh.gif

To be more correct, there is a Kaiser 1 and a Kaiser 2, they are both different fish.

Tropheus sp black, Ikola, Kaiser 1, or for K 1 for short biggrin.gif

For my two cents worth, your yellow and black ones sound like K2, but can't for the life of me think of the locality name.

I agree with Mazimbwe too, and hope it doesn’t turn into a disaster for you. If there were one fish that you have to go into with your eyes wide open, Tropheus would be my pick.

Do check out Steve's web site, it contains information that is a "must read/know/understand" for Tropheus lovers.

It is my opinion one should never buy a cichlid (African in particular) if it doesn’t come correctly labelled. Some of the Tropheus colour varieties can be impossible to tell apart even with an experts (not me) experience eye.

Craig

The locality for K2 is Kiriza. Though how anyone would pick K2 over K1 from that discription is beyond me.......... tongue.gif K2 has a much smaller yellow patch IMO.......... blink.gif

Does the yellow extend right through the dorsal fin ? I believe K1 doesn't(it has a black band) but K2 does........(memory is a bit vague on that one, been a while since i kept any Tropheus)..... blush.gif

A useful page for any new Tropheus owner This shows why you need to get a locality when buying.......there's just so many.....

Lata

Matt

Yellow extending through to the tip of the dorsal fin,

Tropheus sp. Kiriza, Zaire. or Kaiser 2

Yellow extending only partial into the dorsal fin and wider yellow band,red on top of the iris of eye.

Tropheus sp. Ikola, Tanzania. or Kaiser 1

hmm...I would've prefered not to name anything specific coz it would be better not to identify the fish over the net, in an effort to encourage "Nate" to do some serious reserch.

But Oh well, Nate the yellow and black Tropheus sound like K1's to me.

Baa, baa ,baa rolleyes.gif

Oh and...LOL@Lungy. They are too K 2's tongue.giflaugh.gif

hey everyone......on jims post there is a picture of what my fish look like pretty much exact. lots of yellow on side body....2 of the kaiser are actually breeding today...the female was laying on her side ,,male beside her like when my other tropheus bred and I can see the egg tube from the female....like I saw when my dubois bred..I'm excited, but the male ratio may be heavy? so I'm going to trade the bulas for more younger fish in another growout tank...and maybe order more kaiser females. But from the websites I looked at, for tropheus the only way I can tell male from female is to vent them. but some equipment and careful checking seems to be needed, and I can't tell what to look for even after reasearching, Has anyone done this and can maybe explain it somewhat better. Thanks again everyone

I have never worried about venting them...I have purchased groups of 8-10 at a time(3 times) and the numbers of my duboisi take care of themselves. To control things further I have 1 cave at each end of the tank and they are occupied by the Number 1 and 2 males...as far as these guys are concerned they are the only males in the tank. wink.gif

I agree with MaZ and have 2 caves either end of the tank. This woks well for mine (moliros and Cape Carambas). I have also found that the males all seem to have the 'white' lips (probably from fighting, jaw locking), whereas the females do not.

merjo

Archived