Spectrum Cichlid Formula

prince

Oh I'd just like to add - Cichlid Formula & Large fish formula are identical in "formula" - it's only the size that varies.

I've only had the "new" style of each & I noticed a definate difference in the colour of my fish.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the large fish formula. I don't know if I have the new or old formula. But right from the beginning it always breaks down easily (don't even think about pre-soaking them) and leave a vast amount of small particles suspended in the water. I contacted Pablo and he said my fish are messy eater or the pellets are too large for them. I don't think so!

In general I personally think they're better food. They bulk up the fish really fast! But besides messy, I found the fish have more poo than fed other foods of the same quantity. I wonder if NLS actually have more stuff in it that are not digested.

Luckfish123...what do u mean that u don't see the new formula gives the fish perfect coloration?

I started using NLS a few years ago [the old formula] & you could see the fish colouring up very nicely after a couple of weeks.

Using the new formula the fish don't have that bright clear colour as before although they still look good.

Ofcoarse the fishes colour may have somrthing to do with there age as there all quite old fish & NLS food [or any other foods] may not work aswell in colouring them now.

Cheers

i must admit i haven't noticed much of a colour change since the colours of tropheus are pretty mood dependent but i know for a fact they luv it and can never get enough of it. Because there poo turns red as well indicates to me that the food is well digested and tolerated by my tropheus (very important for tropheus!). And the mere fact that they look a lot healthier, bulkier and breeding a lot more frequently makes me want to feed them this food for a long time. However, i won't replace spirulina flakes totally!

Hi There,

You will have no problem getting New life Spectrum fish foods from the first of November.

However if you can't find it after the 1st of Nov or if you want your local fish shop to stock it please email me with the details and I will contact them. thumbup.gif

Take care

Waruna

I've been reading up on NLS lately and found a good link on http://www.cyphos.com/ it is a supplier of the food in canada but has a great gallery of before and after NLS fish

http://www.cichlid-food-canada.com/prices.html

Check it out thumbup.gif

Oracle i also have the OSI spirulina flake, did yours all break up during transport? mine did although it was divided between me and a friend before i recieved it??

Cheers Couchy raisehand.gif

The old  NLS cichlid formula was a very good pellet food,it was a dark & semi soft and the fish loved it.There was also no/very little  mess in the tank after feeding.

The new formula[mine is 2 months old] is a hard light brown pellet that the fish still love but my 400 liter tank is full of fine food particles afer feeding,even after soaking the pellets to soften ,it still makes a mess.

Just be aware of this should you buy some.

b.t.w i was feeding this food to large Haps i.e Adult N.livingstonii & D.compressiceps.

Cheers

oh i see i thought it was like flakes as people says there are tiny particles around the tank when feeding thumbup.gif

LuckFish,

you shouldn't soak NLS before you feed, maybe thats why there are food particles after you feed. You could also feed them with NLS Large fish formula, it's a 3mm pellet, good for large fish. Why do you soak it anyway?

The old  NLS cichlid formula was a very good pellet food,it was a dark & semi soft and the fish loved it.There was also no/very little  mess in the tank after feeding.

The new formula[mine is 2 months old] is a hard light brown pellet that the fish still love but my 400 liter tank is full of fine food particles afer feeding,even after soaking the pellets to soften ,it still makes a mess.

Just be aware of this should you buy some.

b.t.w i was feeding this food to large Haps i.e Adult N.livingstonii & D.compressiceps.

Cheers

oh i see i thought it was like flakes as people says there are tiny particles around the tank when feeding thumbup.gif

LuckFish,

you shouldn't soak NLS before you feed, maybe thats why there are food particles after you feed. You could also feed them with NLS Large fish formula, it's a 3mm pellet, good for large fish. Why do you soak it anyway?

Cheers

I do feed them the 1mm & 3mm pellet.Being that the pellets are hard the fish "chew" it & you can see the fine particles exit their gills.The old formula was soft & the fish don't have a problem with it.

I tried soaking the pellet in an attempt to soften them & it did not work very well as the pellets broke up before the fish could eat them.

I still use NLS but only as part of their diet.

Cheers

If you feed NLS 50%, you are gonna get 50% results. You should really feed it exclusively. I'm not saying to throw away the other types of food. Just hang on to it and try feeding NLS exclusively for a few weeks. You will notice a difference.

Try feeding a few times a day rather than throwing a whole heap at once, so the fish doesn't struggle to swallow everything at once.

When i started using NLS [the old fomula] i did feed it exclusively & had great results,colour wise & fish health.

I don't feed the new type exclusively because of the mess & i don't throw in a whole heap at once.

Once my current stock of NLS is used i won't be buying it again unless they go back to the old formula.

There's plenty of other foods that are just as good & don't mess up the tank.

Cheers

Oracle i also have the OSI spirulina flake, did yours all break up during transport? mine did although it was divided between me and a friend before i recieved it??

Hi, mine comes packed in a brown box with OSI sticker on it. I am not sure what you meant by break up? Mine just felt like normal flakes except that they are smelly as heck! smile.gif

Luckfish....what do u think is a better or equivalent food to the NLS pellets?

I feed my fish HBH cichlid attack,OSI Cichlid Pellets,Wardlys cichlid pellets + no brand pellets from Pet barn $10/kg. all with good results.

I also feed another tank of Africans Nori [dried seaweed]as part of ther diet & the fish like it aswell.

Does not matter what brand you feed as long as the fish thrive & stay healthy imo.

Cheers

For those who have concerns regarding the so called "NEW FORMULA" please

> find out yourselves whats new about NLS. Here's a link to some Info:

>

> http://forums.spectrumfishfood.com/viewtopic.php?t=61

>

>

> In the past 8 years, Pablo has improved the formula tremendously- over 50%

> cost increase without passing on the cost to the consumers. First of all,

> how could NLS pellets be softer before when the moisture content is 10%

> max.? it is also extruded pellets not crumbles. . Soaking the pellets will

> certainly makes a mess especially when the fish has a bad habit of chewing

> the food. Smaller size pellets will solve the problem as the fish will

> swallow it whole. Always feed smaller size pellets, if the fish eat the

> food and spit it back out & try to swallow it again then you know the

> pellet size is too big.

>

> Thank you

> Waruna thumbup.gif

Some of you here know me, for those that don't, I'm the person who's website was linked to earlier. (in Canada) I also moderate on Pablo's Q&A forum.

And no, Pablo & I are not related. wink2.gif

I've been using NLS in all of my tanks for the past 2 years, and trust me, my fish all show the same superb color now, as they did the first time that I tried NLS. As far as powdering up when feeding, the only time I've seen anything along those lines is from very large fish, who by nature will sometimes chew their food, and expell the finer particles via their gills. Even still, this has never been a problem with regards to water quality. The vast majority of fish will simply swallow the pellets whole, IF the correct pellet size is used.

Moist foods are great, if you like paying for water, and of course the risk for spoilage is much greater. This is exactly why Pablo reduced the moisture content in the food.

One should never pre-soak NLS pellets, it will not only become messy if soaked too long, some of the water soluble vitamins will also leach out into the water that you're soaking them in. Obviously this won't be good for your fish.

Speaking of color, here's a pic of young Ngara Flametail that a customer sent me a couple of days ago. I can only imagine how magnificant this young male will look when he's fully mature.

BTW - He's using the 'new' improved formula of NLS. thumb.gif

user posted image

Does not matter what brand you feed as long as the fish thrive  & stay healthy imo.

It is my understanding that nearly all aquarium foods on the market that we buy are produced with two things in mind.

They are manufactured from information gained about fish nutrition that has two sole points in mind, one is to get the fish as big as possible, the second is to get the fish as big as possible and as fast as possible.

And the reason for this is to produce a food that costs as little as possible to increase commercial fish farm profit margins.

Now in the industry for aquaculture where the above is relevant that is fine. But it doesn’t take a genius to put 2+2 together here and understand that this is NOT the goal of people who keep fish in tanks for pleasure not consumption.

Just because a fish is growing, is active and is always on the quest for food does not mean the fish is “healthy” – how can someone in our position tell? I mean really? The only way we could say with 100% certainly is if an autopsy is performed and we look at the fat content in internal organs such as the liver. I don’t know about you lot, but personally I am not in the position to do such.

However, as a hobbyist, what I can do is feed with a food that has NOT been prepared with the intent of getting the fish as big as possible, as fast as possible, and to make the most profit. Profit yes, but not at the fish’s expense.

Which food do you think this would be?

I would love to put a list together that contains foods that puts the long term longevity and health of our beloved denizens of the not so deep , but as yet the ONLY food I can personally put a tick against is NLS. I am not as knowledgeable as I would like to be in this area, but I take some solace in the fact there are few people around who are. Information on the backs of most commercially produced fish foods are an exercise in misinformation and confusion, so is not really a great place to start.

For example - you know the section on the back of foods that informs you of its protein. Do you know what most (I’m told most) of these foods use for protein? Chicken blood and chicken feathers (cheap)! Yum, isn’t that appealing! But then I’m not a fish, so maybe it doesn’t matter. However, I have also been informed that the protein supplied in chicken blood and feathers is not particularly digestible by aquarium fish…..

RD – could you please inform me what is the source of protein in NLS?

I would imagine other foods such as may be sold by Two Little Fish, may also produce a fine food (though I expect one done for the marine market in mind). Pablo’s NLS for cichlids, is the only food I know of that is produced for CICHLIDS by someone who is an ethical, conscientious individual (I am not related, nor do I sell NLS) in an industry that would put him in a very small group.

Craig

Archived