Is algae good ?

Caesar

Ladies and Gents,

I have a quick question.

In my breeding tanks, in the garage I am starting to get a very small amount to green algae growing on the rocks and some on the glass. Is this good. confused.gif

My understanding is that as there are no plants in the tank the algae would help in the removal of nitrates etc. It would also allow the fish something to snack on between meals.

Your thoughts please.

Hi Caesar,

Some algaes are good and some are a pain in the rear. My understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that while the algae will suck up nitrates from the water once the algae dies or is consumed by your fish that those nitrates and whatever else the algae/plant has consumed will be released back into the water. An aquarium is a closed system which is why we do water changes.

This said, I believe that any healthy tank will have some algae.

Regards,

Chris

I am a fan of algae in certain circumstances. Obviously they can be unsightly, especially the browns, but many of the green algae do improve water conditions and provide a diet supplement.

Andrea smile.gif

If it's the soft green type that can be easily removed then there is a good chance that BN and the like would eat it. Maybe even some keen Mbuna would graze on it.

If it's the hard type that needs a scaper blade to get it off the glass then it can be a sign of excessive phosphates, according to what I have read. Nothing eats that and it's a pain to control in the long-term.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived