uneven floor

minh

hay guys

just want to ask you guys what do you do when you have a uneven wooden floor.

i got a high spot on the floor and the cab wont sit right. it about 1 or 2 mm higher then the rest off the floor, and the cab rock at the high spot.

i was thinking off putting a 10mm styofoam sheet at the bottom off the cab.

well the way i see it is if it good for the glass tank then it should be good for uneven floors. balancing the weight of the tank and cab evenly and not where the high spot is.

any reply would be grateful

cheers minh

Go to a metal shop and get a couple squares of stainless steel won't rust and is strong and you can get it in 1-2mm thickness. I have used it to level out my racks in the fish room and they have big tanks on them only way to be sure, it would not cost a lot either

cheers

rosco

He says its a cabinet, I dont see why foam would squash flat under a cabinet but not under the glass... similar surface area, actually more than between glass & cab in my setups. I think it'd work fine. I've also used camping mats, cheap from bargain shops instead of foam with no probs.

guys i did say it a wooden floor

i don't want to put too much pursuer on a few spot on the floor.

the tank is pretty big 6*2.5*2

don't want the tank too fall into the floor

yeah the foam will squash to nothing and will even the floor out.

the high spot will be squash more then the rest.

what do you think.

cheers minh

Yeah, for a heavy tank like that Id be checking out how many joists and bearers are taking the load and how close the piers are located... might have to build extra supports to be safe. As for a cabinet on uneven floor, I dont see how a stiff board will help you, I think you're thinking right with the foam.

well i guess it all depends on the construction of the cabinet, in question.

does it have a flat bottom, or does it have legs behind a skirt/pith on the bottom?

for a big tank like that,

1. I would check the construction of the floor that it will be sitting on, as mentioned

2. if it has hidden legs that take the load i would simply add suficient packing to the bottom of these, wood will work steel pieces will also work, best.

if it has a flat board type base then i would just add strips of what ever to were needs raising on th eends that go from front to back, you could add a few varying in size, to accomadate the shape of the floor.

Or

get a piece of 8-12mm MDF and a belt sander and sand the guts out of the bottom of it until it is the complimentry shape to the floor and sits flat then sit the stand on this.

Foam will be ugly and possibly useless

thats why i like steel, a few bolts in each leg, and they are very capible of handleing very uneven surfaces tongue.gif

I'd pack it with nylon cutting board from a kitchen shop. A 2.5 fiit hight tank is beyond the normal load bearing capabilities of a B&J floor. As was stated earlier it would be worth while to get under and have a good look. Problems like this sometimes do manifest as a leaky tank, and thats the last thing you want.

Good luck with it,

Craig.

Archived