What fish can I keep?

Kat

Hey,

I have this tank AR 308 (how do I insert a pic from my computer?)

I'm looking for any suggestions on what fish I can keep in here.... I basically want something colourful, lively...and maybe breed but not essential.

I was interested in Killis, but it seem to be hard to get here, and breeding is more involved.

Open to all suggestions.

Thanks Kat

(oh and the java fern need to be trimmed....its gone wild)

user posted image

Well if you are after something that is colourful, lively and breeds easily it has to guppies.

I am not sure how many liters a AR 308 is but from the looks of it you should be able to get about 5-10 guppies in there, just remember to have 1 male to every 3 females (sound good to me smile.gif )

Most pets shops have them but some have "better" looking ones the others, i find Auburn aquariums and Kellyville pets always have really good looking stock.

HTH

Kurt

I have thought of guppies, I've had these before and still have 3 in a community tank...wanted something different maybe....

I was thinking about Blue rams...wasn't sure if they suited for this tank or not, or how many I could keep. I think the tank is about 32-34 litres?? Not too sure. Appox 8-9 gallon - I might be wrong.

The tank has 3 Kribensis in there now...all female I think, although I was told there was a male. But I plan on giving these away, as I don't see the tank fit for them.

My suggestion bigsmile.gif

1.....Look for killifish

F.gardneri to hang around the bottom/middle

E. annulatus to hang around the surface

maybe a couple of dwarf corys to eat any food that hits the gravel

I've got both killi species with babies that have survived untouched by parents in much smaller tanks

They are around but you may have to search the shops or ask shops to get them in for you.

Check out......My Webpage as members often have them for sale.

alternatively

2....a native tank.

peacock gudgeon

Threadfin rainbows(Iriatherina werneri)

Spotted Blue-eye(P.gertrudae)

again not all shops have these natives but they are around thumb.gif

Rod54....ah thanks...will have to do more research into killies.

So they bread nicely in your tank? I read somewhere that they is an Incubation process required?

Thanks for the link...will look around. thumbup.gif

Hi Kat,

Some killies are annuals...their eggs require a hibernating period....but they are very hard to get.

but the ones I suggested are mop spawners...eggs hatch in about 3weeks

You can put a mop in and harvest the eggs or alternately give them a bigger tank and raise the babies with the parents.....you don't get as many young but it's a lot less hassle.

Larger males will give the smaller ones a hard time once the begin to mature but by then they are big enough to can catch and sell or move to another tank?

BEWARE....keeping killies is addictive!

user posted image

user posted image

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dwarf guramis, clowns, silver sharks ,neons, angels, kribensis(alone) would thrive in that tank

i used to hav a silver shark in a 10gal but he grew way to big and i had to take him bak to the lfs...he grew from about 6cm to 15cm in a month or too...

i would go with some killis as i hav heard that they are really attractive or some dwarf guramis, kuhli loaches, bumble bee gobies or somthing like that. they look great.

Dwarf guramis, clowns, silver sharks ,neons, angels, kribensis(alone) would thrive in that tank

If you are talking about clown loaches they are way too active for a tank that size and they get big (30cm).

Bruce

It should be simple enough to order threadfins at most shops.

I have spotted blue eyes and they are a great little fish - small and short lived, but breed like crazy and look awesome when displaying.

Having kept and bred Peacock Gudgeons in the past I cannot recommend them highly enough! Haven't seen any for a while, although the shop in Manly had good stocks of natives in the past.

I feel like Bolivians get bigger and clumpier, if you know what I mean, where the blue rams are more delicate and sparkling. Just my opinion though.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but we shouldn't call peacock gudgeons natives, unless you're posting from New Guinea.

You will note...To be pedantic....I did say native....not Australian native. :lol3:

threadfins and spotted blue-eyes are also found in PNG :p

Perhaps I should have said a PNG native tank :yes:

Archived