Resun HOB filter Probs and Mods

grungefreek

Hi Guys,

My mum just got a new Resun HF 2002 HOB filter, and i have a few questions on it. First off the motor seems to be pretty noisy. Its not too bad when the top cover is off, but when you put it on the noise relly echo's and is very noticible. SO if any one else has one of these filters, can you please comment on the amount of noise it makes, also if it seems to get air trapped in the intake tube at the elbow just before going to the impeller?

Ok question 2. The filter media that came with the filter is one of those replaceable sponge/carbon insert things. What i wanted to know is if any one has adapted a sponge like an aquaclear into these filters and how well they work. Thought the AC design would last longer and then mum wouldnt have to buy new inserts all the time. Her tank gets really dirty, comes from the 6 larger goldfish in a 2ft tank, so the more reusable the filter media the better.

Ok thanx Guys

Grungie

biggrin.gif

Hi grungefreek,

I had a resun air pump once and it was the worst product i have ever owned. I bought it on EBAY brand new and about a month after i started using it it started to make noise. It got louder and louder until it got the @#$%'s and turfed it. I only bought it because it was cheap.....learnt my lesson there!!

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

hello mate

firstly i have a few of them hob filters they do the job and have done it for the last year ive never had any noise problems with them

as for the filter/carbon combo , they use to just come with the filter foam in them then they went to that stuff , its not to had to get some foam and cut it to size and use that

cheers

joe

I've got two of them both old and new model on one of my grow out tanks and haven't had any problems with them whatsoever.

As for the noise, you could probably clean your impeller chamber and make sure there isn't any gravel in it as well as check to make sure that there is no air being sucked into the inlet pipe.

When attaching the inlet pipe to the upside down U-bend pipe you have to be careful that you don't crack the end of the inlet pipe as the plastic is quite

brittle. If it is cracked, and the water level is below the join, then air will be sucked into the filter causing noises.

To answer you question with the carbon/wool insert, I just bought an aquaclear 200 sponge insert. You will find that it will fit snuggly into the chamber.

HTH.

Hi Guys,

Well sounds like these filters are usually pretty quiet. The product is brand new ( i got it from u Ben, Im Brad, so its brand spankin, 2 days old), but i had the impeller out to have a look cause i thought that also may be the problem, i didnt clean it, just inspected. Ill take it out again and give it a wipe over to see if that helps. I also checked for air leaks in the air intake pipe. Doesnt seem to be suckin air in anywhere from what i can see. It starts off with an air bubble that gets stuck in the bend before the impeller, but that eventually gets sucked out and now the inlet is filled with water.

MAybe im just a whinger. We have never had a HOB filter before, only every internals, so maybe im just not used to the noise they make, but i did expect it to be quieter than it is.

Ill pull it down and give it a good clean out and see how we go.

Thanx Guys

If the noise is getting worse with the cover on you may just need to make sure the cover is seating properly.

My aquaclears rattle sometimes, and I just have to tap the top cover and they stop.

One of them was particularly stubborn for a while, so I used a little tape to seat it properly.

Hi Guys,

Well i took the impeller put and gave it a clean, no difference. I took the inlet pipe out, filled housing with water, No difference. Im gonna have a listen to my friends HOB filter for noise, dunno what type it is or anything, but ill try to compare the different noises.

As for the lid, well it doesnt cause a rattle noise as such, more just causes the noise to echo. It kinda sounds like an impeller that has been exposed to air and worn out, but then again noise levels are relly determined by the individual, hard to convey in writing!!!!!. The impeller looks fine, but then again im no expert on impellers, i need a damn decibell meter to give an accurate measure, hmm, maybe able to get my hands on one actually if it may help.

Well i will compare to my friends to see the difference and report back. Hopefully all will be good so i dont have to send it back to u Ben, which i doubt.

Ok Thanx Guys

Brad

PS. Sorry bout any spelling mistakes, few too many beers 2night rolleyes.gif

Archived