Feeding Prawns?

619 Fish GOD

Thanks for that confirmation JLL.

Bait prawns cost more to the kilo then table prawns do

That's exactly right Teflon thumb.gif , when you consider a 200g pack costing about $6-$7 retail, that's anywhere between $30-$35kg!

Cheers,

Nick.

I can get as low as $12.50/kg for what I would class as "cheap old bait prawns" and that is stuff that I would not eat myself. If I could get table prawns for that then I would live on em (well not quite).

what about nippers their so easy to get with a bait pump, wife can sit on the beach while you and the kids go round to the estuary and suck up nippers(patonga's good)has anyone tried the big live bloodworms sold at bait shops?

Your best bet is to head down to Windang on the next dark with a net and a torch

Its a nice drive from canberra to Lake Illawarra LOL.gif There aint too many prawns around this time of year either. The best time is the first no-moon night in december. Then all you have to do is fight off the tourists and you will be right and offcourse a secret spot is always good thumb.gif

I have feed my fish nippers before and they love them (remove nipper of course). Prefer them as bait, cant beat them in the lake IMHO

Josh

I also work in the seafood industry both on boats and now in delivery for a wholesaler, and the stuff is called Sodium Metabisulphite. Metabisulphite info

Home brewers use Sodium Meatbisulphate for sterilising and is also used in the wine industry.Metabisulphate info

What its used for is just what Frontyking said it has anti bacterial properties stops prawns going black in the back of the head although if the prawns arent treated soon enough they still can turn after being defrosted and only green prawns are treated because whats the point when you cook them it kills all the bacteria.

So if it is in high enough concentration it will kill your filter.

If anyone feeds prawns treated to their fish be carefull!!!!!!! one of the Wollongong club members killed some of his fish inadvertantly, by feeding his fish treated prawns, it is also used by all the boats that catch Royal Reds off Wollongong, this I know for sure as my wifes Grandfather owns one of the trawlers which I worked on.

Yes Teflon sadly they do dye some of them but its purely cosmetic to make them look nice and red to fool the public and people who dont know, but diet can effect colour. I know of one restraunt that had black fish in a tank and fed them some left over prawns and the black fish (luderick) turned red, these prawns had been died.

Yes but what Im saying is how does a fish or any other kind of animal turn red from eatting food colouring because thats all it it.

All my years of working as a chef I have never heard of anything like that

Archived