updated (with pics)

carlos

My Oscar has my BN stuck in its mouth! its too big to swallow it and it cannot spit it back out coz the BN has spines at the back of his gills!

now before i get a sermon about keeping them together, does anyone know how i can get the BN out? its already dead but i'd love to be able to save my oscar. i know theres probably no hope but i want to at least know i've tried to save it.

theres only about 1/4 of the BN left out of its mouth. so its pretty far in

ok will try, i'm scared to touch him coz the more i fiddle the more the oscar stresses and moves and potentially indures himself.

the BN is pretty far in, i dunno if i can get tweezers down there, will give it a go

Bugger. tough situation.

If the tweezers don't work, and the oscar is big enough, I'd be carefully sticking a pair of scissors in there and cutting the BN fins off close to the body. Wrap the oscar in a wet towel to keep it still.

If the oscar isn't freaking out, it might be able to dislodge it or swallow it on it's own.

i got it out! finally! he lives! but i dont want to jinx myself just yet, will keep a close eye on him. his mouth is still slightly open but i cant really see coz he's sulking in the back corner.

my dad held him down in a wet towel and i snipped off the BN's side fin, then the other side and got him out. the BNs head was practically gone already.

dont have any stress coat so i added some salt in the water.

thanks so much for you help everyone, wouldnt have thought of doin any of that stuff! fingers crossed he lives!!

Don't worry to much Oscars are tuff. My wife has 3 very large ones in a 4x18x18 tank the buggers are always jumping out. blink.gif They always seem to do it in the middle of the night. angry.gif So I have to get up and put them back in. They lose a lot of scales and look battered and bruised but always seem to recover ok. LOL.gif

thanks nigel, thats reasurring to hear!

yes nova i've learned my lesson blush.gif . It was kinda last resort because their 4foot sprung a leak and the only other tank i had running was my 3x2 with just the BN in it. i wasnt planning on keeping them in there for long, was gonna put a add up for em in the classifieds this weekend but i guess its too late now! shock.gif

anyway he seem ok this morning, mouth still not fully closed.

heres the site i was greeted with when i came home from work lastnight

user posted image

and heres a pic of what was left of the BN shock.gif

user posted image

Every fish keeper has to do some surgery at 1 time or another.

I had an elastic band wrapped around a pleco and had to cut it free.

and the first time I milked a fish I think I was more scared than the solousi I was working on.

Good work and well done. I bet that Oscar leaves Bn's alone from now on.

thumb.gif

LOL.gif

I assume by "milk" he meant "strip"

isn't milking squeezing the eggs out of an egg bound female? Not something I'd be game to attempt

Yeah we knew what he meant. I sometimes refer to stripping as milking too. Not sure why blush.giflaugh.gif

As far as I know (and being too lazy to google it rolleyes.gif ), milking refers to getting eggs or sperm from adult fish.

I suppose you are doing basically the same thing with a mouthbrooder (milking eggs), just from different ends LOL.gif

well wether citypainter called it stripping or milking i'm sure it could be taken the wrong way! LOL.gifLOL.gif

As far as I know (and being too lazy to google it rolleyes.gif ), milking refers to getting eggs or sperm from adult fish

you were comparing milking with stipping, how come you didnt give us the definition of stripping?? why dont you google that for us! LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif

Hey I tried to google "female spitting or swallowing problems" and got all embarrassed blush.gif so I'm not going to google "stripping" shock.gif

wink2.giflaugh.gif

haha! LOL.gif

you can go into options & enable a child filter where it attempts to block that sort of subject matter - though if it goes only on words it may filter out the stuff you want too.

sorry, preferences - there is no options tongue.gif

I Had the very same thing happen to my oscar about half an year ago.. but my oscar was slightly larger and the Bn slightly smaller... the oscar lay down for a while and for about an hour chewed the body of the Bn in Half shock.gif till he could get it free from his throat he swallowed the haed and spat the rest out was worrying at first took quite a while to chew through.. but wouldnt have done this if the Bn was any larger. LOL! ! !

Cheers Steve

When I brought my first Jag home from the LFS, I didn't realise 'til later that evening, but he had the back end of a Firemouth probably two-thirds his size hanging out of his mouth!

He chewed away for another couple of hours, then eventually spat it back up. Had fun cleaning that day!

Archived