Hongi? Why different colour variants?

Ant

Seeing, that that male is alot lighter in the body than mine (mine is lilac) and yours is not as orange as mine id say that it is a yellow top. Nice fish too smile.gif

Anthony cool.gif

A lot of the L.hongi in Australia,is probably not pure,my opinion,feel free to disagree.Is the way to keep Australia's cichlids as pure as possible to say "It doesn't suit me that they may not be pure,so mine are definately pure,no question(I might lose some money,oh no)"?

As for the high horse statement I'll take it as I think I'm better than most of the cichlid keepers looking after our cichlid stock,thanks for the compliment,I agree.

Hey Ute God (LOL), "black bar" refers to a totally different species, a Metriaclima, look here. Yours is a small fish. Hard to tell coz colours can be different on the screen. If the fin colour I am seeing is accurate, I would say that your fish will go more orange as it matures. That whitey colour is how they go when they are heavily displaying ... it's not usually that white, right?

nah he is more like my female cobolt colour a light bluey and it is yellow the picture is a bit off but it is more yellow then orange

and his colour could be a bit off cos he has only just reached the 24hr mark of being in my tank

I have been watching some lovely red finned A. compressiceps and red finned L. caudopunctatus at a LFS for the past few months. They have faded in that time. Both sets of fish were traded in from the same source and were obviously colour fed. wink.gif

merjo

Ok so it is final, there is only one species of hongi here in Aus. It seems there is still a hint of doubt, but if Konnings says that there is only 1 then i'm convinced.

Anthony cool.gif

Mabey the Australian L.Hongi are not pure, how do we find out?

Does any one know how to import the fish so we can get some new pure stock?

I like my L.Hongi's and I also like my fish to be pure so I am willing to get some of these in if any one knows how!

Ok I have done some more searching and this is what I have come up with

Labidochromis sp. "red top kimpuma"

Labidochromis sp. "hongi"

To me they look as though one is more mature than the other.

The photo I found of the blue and yellow hongi was obviously a doctored one.

this is the only reference I can find to Colour Variants. and this source is not what I would call acurate.

I am starting to think the difference may only be which location they are caught in.

They are caught from Lundo Islands; Liuli; Mbamba Bay Is.; and Undu Reef mabey this gives the answer to the slight colour differences as the name comes from the first location they where caught in.

I have also found here in S.A. all our L.Hongi are the same variant(Labidochromis sp."red top kimpuma"),mabey our lack of avaliable fish has paid off.

Hey but I am still willing to import some new ones just to make sure.

Konings (2001) considers Labidochromis sp. "hongi" and the similar Labidochromis sp. "red-top kimpuma" to be synonomous (variants of same species)

Distribution:

Hongi - Lundo Islands; Liuli; Mbamba Bay Is.; and Undu Reef, Lake Malawi

So basically it means that the hongi are all the same, but the colour varies slightly depending on where in the lake they were caught from.

Just quoting Andy...for those that missed it. unsure.gif

Have a look at the home page information that is provided on the "Colour Varients" link.

IMHO, and that of many others there is one species of Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"

This fish has yet to be described, any scientists wanna go and do it? :-)

I think if for the time being everyone adheres to Konings, we can't go wrong.

It is highly unlikely we have more then one location variant of Hongi in Australia.

The specimens I have seen, closely resemble those found at Hongi Island.

By using names such as "SRT" (Super Red Top) and "Red Top Kimpuma" we are just confusing the issue.

I have grown out a few Hongi fry, and the fish have shown varying degrees of yellow/orange as they mature and become dominant. If anyone wishes to see some pictures let me know. I have some good examples of the ability to change colour.

Here is my personal favourite Hongi.

user posted image

Well not sure what colour varient I have but got them from a dude 'jonesy' and they are great! Apparently the parents were imports. Only had these fish for a few days and have to admit I feel like climbing in the tank and hugging them.

biggrin.gif

Archived