Oldest Fish

Cichlabxr

Hi,

Prior to my recent setbacks (long story) I was determined to try and get my addiction to help pay for itself.

I don't have trouble breeding the fish, I just have trouble getting organised so that I don't lose the fry. I also don't get rid of the ones that aren't breeding, that should be and just stumble from one loss to another. I also develop favourites.

This got me to thinking about favourites etc and I was wondering how long people have had certain fish and how old they were.

My oldest at the moment is the Oscar(my sons) . He is 5 years old. I also have a Red Empress that I bought at my first NSWCS meeting. (approx 2 1/2 yrs). The Oscar I have had since my re-entry to fishkeeping.

Everyone has favourites so I thought it would be interesting to see what they were and also how old. Some of our more experienced people have been keeping fish for over twenty years. They may have stories of past favourites.

I also notice the "turnout" sales something I can't bring myself to do. Some people seem to get tired of a species very quickly but others last for ever. Also it will answer a question common amongst newbies..How long do ........... live?

Hiya Martin, glad to see you shook off the mothballs and started posting again biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I am sure my old fronty is the oldest I have ever had. Her name is granma fronty and I have been telling people that she is over twenty for well over 2 years now and then thought I really should keep better track .......... I lost it lolol but she is at least that old. Maybe I can use this post as a marker in future. She is as blind as a bat, cruises with my silver torpedos and can look after herself food wise very well. She knows where the food gets dropped and just siphons the bottom for me. When she first started doing this, she developed a "gravel rash" on her chin lol but it's sort of hardened up now. Quite interesting actually, to watch her movements once the food has dropped into a tank. Can fish talk?? I have no idea but she knows when it's feeding time and I do not stick to a regular time at all but within a few minutes of me feeding, there she is. Maybe she can smell it in the water???

She was an excellent mum for me in her mid years and I think I should do the right thing by her now - I have never had the heart to put her down. Useless fish - no way !!! wink.gif

Hi,

I am with you on this one. Clean out sales i can't bring myself to do - hence the fact that we have a stupid number of tanks biggrin.gif .

I do have my favourites -

40cm 15yo pleco

20cm 15yo pictus cat

8 x 15cm 13yo clown loaches

10cm 10yo khouli loach

12cm male bristlenose (fathered about in excess of 5000 fry) 10yo

I am a huge mbuna fan my oldest being around the 7yo mark.

While I reluctantly sell off fry (due to space) I take the line that pets are for life so as long as i am able to provide for them they will remain in my care. I know I know big sucker when it comes to fish rolleyes.gif .

Cheers

I have a pair of bristlenose which would be over 10 years old. They are both long past breeding and have survived through all my early-days fads until I grew up a bit and stopped changing species every 6 months. They've been in with everything from dwarfs to oscars at some stage or another rolleyes.gif

I guess my other long-living success is my colony of N multifasciatus. I made this colony up around 5 years ago from 3 different sources.

Some came from YeW, some from St George and some from TLC when it was on Stoney Creek Rd. These fish are a joy to keep, and are still going strong after all this time. biggrin.gif

I have had 5 x 5yo Goldfish and a 5yo bristlenose that has lived through heaps. eg. draining a tank by accident whilst at dinner i left the siphon on and sucked out the tank came back after at least 45mins at it was just alive. But unfortunately he died a month or two ago.

Good topic

The oldest fish i have had was a 13 year old goldfish called "sam" living in a tank at my parents house. I got him for my 10th birthday at 3cm and looked after him until i moved out at 17 to go to uni. I trained my mum and dad to look after him. He grew to about 14cm. He was lovely (not fat at all). It was sad when he died two years ago.

I also had a yabby called hannible (after unfortunate cannabalism episode) that mum and dad looked after for 6 years, during which time he grew 10 about 15cm from 2cm. He was truely impressive, but started to freak mum out with his escapism antics laugh.gif . He has also passed on...

Hi,

Will attempt to photograph both the pictus and the pleco.....usually rely on friends with great cameras so please have patience biggrin.gif .

Cheers

I agree Willy, it would be nice to see pics of the pleco and pictus cat. I also know what you're on about with the camera situation Chipimbi.

Baz when did you move from St Marys..shows how deep the mothballs were. biggrin.giflaugh.gif

Anita, you were one of our "more experienced people"

unsure.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif I was hoping would reply. Its nice to be out of the mothballs laugh.giflaugh.gif How old was the Umbie of Kevins before those bloody bushfires?

Regards Martin

Hi,

Still working on those pics wink.gif .

Wazza.....who's fish are you calling old tongue.gif I am certain pleco woiuld not agree...he rules the 6x2x2 with alot of energy still thank you very much biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Cheers

I have an angelfish which is at least 10 years old. I'm not really one to keep track but it is one of my original pair of angelfish from when I first got a 2' tank (way back when).

After its mate died, I took it to my brothers to try and get it to pair off with another angel, but it never has sad.gif Must have really been in love huh? wub.gif

The fish is still at my brothers and has been for its last 2-3 years, but its mine laugh.gif

When I was 18months old my brother bought home a common gold fish that he'd won at a fete, the poor thing was in a pretty bad state having being carted around all day in the heat in a plastic bag.

Not only did it survived... - Its lived till I was 19, and even then it was still going, but it only had one eye, almost no scales and was incredibly skinny, we decided that it was probably time to put rufus to sleep!!! sad.gif

So basically our goldfish lived for more than 17 years!!! I'm not sure if thats unusual, but at the time everyone thought it was pretty freaky!!! biggrin.gif

Archived