Pump flow rate decease

prince

hi all

i have a resun sump which pumps 3800L/hr

when i first got it, the sump was strong and it moved the gravel away where the water goes back in the tank.

now it doesn't move the gravel away

i clean the sump regularly

is this cause beacuse the sump is getting old? or something else

have you cleaned the impeller in the pump? cleaned the return line?

This is where I'd be looking first

is this cause beacuse the sump is getting old? or something else

What kind of pump is it and how old is it?

some times i get air lock in my pump , this causes my pump which pumps 6500lph to just sort of half pump . i just turn it on and off and the air lock goes away, if this doesnt work you could back flush it.

what do you mean back flush it?

flush water through the system the wrong way

as pumps wear there flow is decreased, the higher the quaility of the pump the less the flow will decrease over time wink2.gif

hi all

just clean the pump, impeller and the return line

but havent seen any changes yet

have anyone got any ideas?

How did you clean the return line (what method)?

Did you clean it all the way through?

What size (diameter) piping is on your system?

How long is this return line?

What size is the inlet of the pump itself?

What size is the outlet of the pump itself (if different from the inlet)?

Have you checked the strainer to inlet to the return line?

Craig

those are some diffuclt questions dntknw.gif

well i clean the return pipe by using a hose (what method can use to clean the return pipe?)

im not sure wat is the diameter (5-6cm dntknw.gif ) and the length of the pipe (think is about 2 metre)

strainer ?? confused.gif

Prince,

They are not difficult questions, but due to the fact you find them difficult is telling of your inability to fix your issue thumb.gif .

You English in you initial post was a little unusual, as you seem to use the word “sump” when the word “pump” would have been expected. I have assumed you have just mixed the words up dntknw.gif .

You can’t effectively clean the return pipe using a hose. If you have a build up of matter in there, it is already resistant to a water flow removing it (it is after all your return pipe). You will need to mechanically clean the inside of this pipe. This can either be done by using a pipe cleaning brush (if long enough), or by jamming a small piece of filter wool into one end, and flushing it through a few times using pressure from a hose. Make sure you get it all back at the end. This should completely clean out the inside of the pipe.

I would assume once again that there is a pipe leading from the pump to the tank, this pipe may also need maintenance.

The strainer is where the water enters the pipe to go to your pump. If your pump is “inline” it must have a strainer of some sort. If your pump is used in an underwater situation (submerged in the sump), then I expect the strainer will be on the pump itself. Make sure the strainer is not blocked, as this will prevent water entering into the pump, and maybe not as much water can return to the sump, hence your decrease in water flow.

The other questions were just trying to ascertain that you matched your piping size to the size of the inlet and outlet of the pump. 5-6 cm is absolutely massive for a fish tank, and I would suggest that you need to check a ruler to see how big it is.

Craig

I think you might find the pump needs a new impeller or there is not enough water covering it. I think you are the person that I drilled a hole in a tank for when I was there doing it I noticed that you did not have enough water in the sump. I did mention to put some water in there if I have the wrong person then try a new impeller in the pump and see how that goes.

thanks for the advice

i might try CThompson method of cleaning the return pipe

where the water goes into the mini reef it is a overflow (the corner box)

i also have notice that i can't add as much water as before to the tank, and the water in the overflow is quite low, before it was higher.

how much is it to change the impeller?

I dont think you will find cleaning the return pipe will make any difference. I think you will find its either the impeller or not enough water covering the pump or the return holes are not big enough for the size of the pump. The price of a new impeller you can find out from the place you brought the pump from.

Archived