Medication; Your thoughts?

Icarus

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the overall opinions are on the availability of medication for our hobby?

I recently wanted to get medication to treat bloat, however having to see a vet to get any decent medication is a nightmare in my opinion.

What about the poor range of Meds available at your LFS?

Cheers.

LFS's supply medications that are available to them.

you can treat bloat with epson salts.

I think you misunderstood what I asked.

I'm not having a go at the LFS and I'm not looking for a cure for bloat.

I'm asking for your opinions on the availability of meds.

Thanks.

You have to remember that all this stuff has a fairly limited shelf life, (considering the amount of dose per bottle in most cases) and shops aren't likely to sell alot of it.

IME most people with fish tanks (ie. about 95% of a lfs' market) would rather let their fish die than pay for a bottle of meds which probably costs more than their entire fish stock combined.

'Hobbiests' I guess take things a little differently and many choose to keep close at hand what they *might* need on an off chance.

For the most part - the average LFS/generic pet store is not going to be of much help. A medication that costs them $20 a bottle and can only be ordered in lots of 8 bottles with a shelf life of a year is money down the drain most times. If you asked them to order it specially for you, the supplier would still require them to order 8 bottles. Unless you want 6 of those 8 bottles or want to pay 1000% markup, the average shop is going to struggle to accomodate you without taking a loss. It is a bit sad for the hobbiest, but IMO it is totally understandable! These are businesses after all, and many people's livelihood depend on them making every cent possible, as most are not big profit making machines.

As Blake has pointed out, some stores (like Auburn) are a bit more geared toward your fanatical hobbiest (like us) and not at the average Joe with a little tank and $10 worth of fish. These are the stores who carry the bigger range of treatments, and are likely to be able to help you here. Also, if you explain what you want and why, they are the ones who will at the very least carry a decent alternative, if you are not too hellbent on doing things one way.

Some drugs which many hobbiests like to use are unavailable without prescription from vet's or doctor's so obviously stores wont be carrying those at all. Sounds like you were maybe after something from this category?

However, like Gargamel has said, there are natural treatments (epsom salt, rock/sea salt, temperature change) which do the trick for your everyday problems. I have not needed a medication for several years now. I don't hold anything on a 'just in case' basis as I feel its money wasted when you can get it easily enough on demand if your prepared to put yourself out to do so.

I think there is a trend to over-medicate. Another very worrying trend is dumping meds in a tank when the problem remains undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. Use of meds should be sparing, and only when your sure of what your dealing with. Many of the meds around have harsh side effects that, added to a fishes existing stress can be a major worry, and if you add to that the fact the med isnt treating the actual problem it is a nightmare. Not to mention the effect it will have on your remaining healthy fish and your filters in alot of cases.

LFS's supply medications that are available to them.

I think you misunderstood what I asked.

I'm not having a go at the LFS and I'm not looking for a cure for bloat.

I'm asking for your opinions on the availability of meds.

Thanks.

thats alright champ. i think duksta has everything covered.

a large percentage of people that go into lfs's are just there to restock their school of neon tetras. they are more likely to buy another couple of dozen than try and figure out why their current ones are dieing. they're not going to spend $20 to cure a $2 fish

i hope somewhere in there ducky said , prevention is better than cure.....

quaratine all new fish for two weeks and do ya water changes and you wont need medicine.

i know what you asked, im just saying.

wayne.

shock.gifconfused.gif

I don't see how it is too much trouble to go to your vet and get the meds you need. If you go to your vet with the right info then, most times they will be happy to prescribe the drug

Most LFS will stock the basic's. Thats all they can stock as the better bloat medications are human drugs and have to be prescribed to you.

How did you end up treating your bloat? and was it successful?

Archived