cuckoo catfish

timmy2422

Hi Timmy

I have been keeping and breeding cuckoos on the Gold Coast in Queensland for a couple of years now and I never get sick of them. They are an interesting and hardy fish and should be readily available direct from breeders for a reasonable price (I sell mine up here for $20.00 each at 5-6cm). There is some good info about them on the net if you search under their scientific name "Synodontis multipunctatus". I would try the planetcatfish site as a starting point, it is a great international site with loads of info about every catfish you can think of.

Cheers, Doug

thanks alot for the info and pics they were very helpful. i am hoping to get some very soon. are they easy to breed, i have read about there breeding method, are fish like saulosi's ok to breed them with

You've made the right choice, these fishes are good to keep.

They are always active which makes you so happy and excited just by watching them.

I adore these catfishes so much I would sometimes sit and watch them eat and swim around. They are easy to keep, they can live in hard water without a problem.

I really love the S.Multies species, one of my favouries hug.gifwub.gif

To breed them they require a host.

When the host (other mouth brooding fishes) start to breed and lay the eggs, the male cuckoo would push the female over to the spawn site of the mouth brooders. The males would eat the eggs of the mouth brooders then the female would quickly lay the eggs so the host would hold the cuckoo eggs.

The cuckoo eggs should hatch within a week, have heard 2 days.

I'm not too sure about the breeding process, have read and learnt a few bit.

I havent bred these and I'm interested in breeding them, currently have 10 x 8cm of these adorable catfishes.

If you're interested give Phenomena a try, he breeds them and when I last visited he had some for sale.

They can be bred with Saulosi, apparently they breed well with Astatotilapia calliptera.

I plan on getting some so am speaking from my research not experience...

Cheers thumb.gif

Richard

yer well im definatly getting some they sound pretty sweet. they are fairly expensive in canberaa apparently, i have a freind there and he said they are 200 each. WOW. i live in a small country town and can get them for 60 buks

Hi Guys

I currently have 5-6cm juvenile cuckoo cats available for $20.00 each. I'm on the Gold Coast and have oxygen available for shipping. If you're after a few, it might be worth getting some sent down. I also have some nice 6-8cm Copadichromis "3 spot eastern" available which in my experience make excellent "hosts" for cuckoos. These are sexable if you wanted to get a colony to help fill up the box and make the shipment worthwhile. If you are buying cuckoos, I will do you a good deal on the copadichromis.

Cheers, Doug

email : anitajoy@bigpond.net.au

I have a few questions to add?

1) how old/big do they generally breed at?

2) Are most psuedotropheus big enough to be used as hosts?

3) Do you need to isolate the mouthbrooding female, or will the little ones be right?

Hey hey,

Great shots Merjo smile.gif

I love these cool cats smile.gif we have had ours in a 4x2x2 with Ps acei who surrogate well for them.

The hosts need to be a little on the average intellegence scale as smarter fish will cotton on to what the synos are up to dry.gif fairly quickly and stop spawning.

As the cichlids mate the cuckoo (called this after the cuckoo bird who also leaves the eggs for someone else to care for) will come in and replace a cat egg for the other one (yes by eating it). If successful, the cichlid female will pick the intruder's eggs up and brood them along with her own. I like using the acei as their own broods are large and the spawning process goes on for a while giving th cuckoos time smile.gif You will need to pick a host with similar size eggs or the cichlid female may not accept them.

The cuckoo eggs hatch within 3-7 days, sooner than the cichlid's, and the little cats proceed to consume the other eggs. When spat they are almost at 1cm with fat little bellies full of acei shock.gif

While they like to hide they are more active than most cats and their markings are beautiful - silver to white body with spots smile.gif .

Give them a go, as you can see from the responses their are a few out there with fry and juveniles for sale 2-4cm - and they should only set you back about $20-$25 at that size.

Just saw the last post:

I have a few questions to add?

1) how old/big do they generally breed at?

2) Are most psuedotropheus big enough to be used as hosts?

3) Do you need to isolate the mouthbrooding female, or will the little ones be right?

Ours started breeding at 14 -18 months and were 8-10cms by then.

we have found that acei work well and have also had success with elongatus - but these guys were too smart and stopped after a couple of spawns.

We leave the host mum with her colony - due to the fact that she carries catties and not baby acei she is happy to spit them as soon as they cause her grief with their spines. Plent of cover and the bubs do well. Your choice as to whether you remove her or not.

Good luck.

Aline

Thanks Aline

Ive only just considered getting a larger fish colony and was looking at P. Kingsizei. Might have to rethink that now. Sounds like it would be lots of fun watching one fish carry around very different babies.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Adam

Thanks Aline,

I agree...very cool fish to watch and keep.

Saying the hosts need to be a little average is correct. The quicker they catch on to the cuckoos, the sooner your spawns (with resulting fry) will cease. I was using elongatus for a while but have now changed to acei. Fingers crossed for more action!

Andrea smile.gif

some1 answer the questions!

What questions confused.gif ? I think Aline (and others) have given a pretty good outline for you thumb.gif . If there is something specific you want to know, then ask it.... yes.gif

Andrea smile.gif

I know alot of you are going to disagree but eh...... what can you do? tongue.gif

I kept multis for a while and found them to be one of the most boring fish I have ever kept dry.gif It shared a 4 footer with a 30cm pleco and still did nothing all day. If i was really lucky i might see it swimming up and down the glass nut apart from that i saw Nada. confused.gif Or is it a frontosa im thinking of LOL.gif ?

I wouldn't mind giving them another shot just to try breed them but other then that there are and absolute tone of other cats worthy of your money.

G'day

Multis are extremely active fish. If you have had trouble with their activity level then I suspect something was not to their liking.

Pretty much any mouth brooding cichlid will do. Obviously the bigger the mouth of the cichlid the better for the cats, as they hatch they will have more food and are less likely to eat their siblings. cool.gif

The cichlids that are bright are obviously not the best choice because they soon work out what is happening and stop breeding. Eg. S.C. lithobates, took about 6 months to work it out.

To be honest I don't know if saulosi are a good choice as I have not tried them. I suppose the best way is to try it yourself and see. dntknw.gif

I would expect crimson tides to be a possibly good candidate but you never know until you try. dntknw.gif

hth Matthew...

Archived