Ice in my tanks?

Josh

biggrin.gif

Hi all,

Can I put some service station ice in my fish tanks. I have got bottles of tap water in the freezer at the moment but they wont be ready till later on in the day. The reason i ask is I have heard there's alot of cemicals in the bought ice

any help would be apprieciated

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

biggrin.gif

HI

I got up this morning at 7.ooam and my tanks where already at 30 degrees. i noticed one last night at 36 degrees, it gets hot in my house.

Josh and Evelyn

Hi lil swimmer,

I am from Singapore but am and will not be there for a long while. When I was back home, my water temp was about 29-31 deg all year round. My goldies seemed fine, so I did not make much of an effort to do anything about it.

I can't see adding ice as a good long term solution to your problem. I have seen a tank in an LFS with fans connected at the top though. they look like fans in the computer, only about twice the size. maybe you wanna check that out?

You may also consider avoiding:

1. motor heads in the water

2. not placing your tank where it gets sunlight

Its a problem I never sorted out when i was back home. I will when I get back home though. In approx a year....haha!

cheers

smithy

ahh I gotcha......rather then adding the ice to teh tank, why not put them in a plastic bag and float it?

I used to run a marine tank with TONS of lights....and florida summers are very hot, and with my lights I would have to float bags of ice at times.

I would never add ice directly to the tank though. Thats just me

cool.gif

you might also want to consider that since ice isnt a long term solution; as soon as the ice melts, the temp will go back up to 30. i think constantly fluctuating temperatures will probably do more damage to fish than a tank at 30 degrees.

Add more airstones..... chances are your fish are much more likely to die from lack of oxygen than being too hot.

Hot water carries less oxygen so I'd make sure your water is being turned over enough to touch the surface as often as possible.

There's plenty of times my fish have seen 35 degrees but with enough air being pumped in promoting the oxygen transfer it's been ok.

Go Fast

If you increase the surface agitation, that helps keep it cool.

Also, try making mesh screens for lids as glass will trap the heat.

And set up a fan blowing over the surface of the water.

Ice is a band aid solution that can cause extreme temperature fluctuations which can increase your chances of white spot and other stress induced illnesses.

If you are going to use ice, put it in your filter in a bottle or right in front of the outlet.

Archived