skin irritation

fishie4me

Do you have any pics of the irritation or can you describe it accurately, please?

Salt may help, but if we can get a better look I am sure there will be a nice reliable remedy for you.

Cheers - OziOscar.

biggrin.gif

Fishaddiction,

does it look like this fish has scratched itself on a rock or is it some thing else? i have a few fish at the moment that have scrathed themselfs and they are healing quite well (I do have salts in my tank anyway)

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

Hi,

Check your water parameters too as there may me toxins present which are causing the the fish to behave this way. Have you just done a water change? Perhaps there were some irritants in the tap water? HTH.

merjo

That fish's behaviour is termed "flashing" by some people... it keeps glancing off all manner of things as if to scratch itself.

If your water parameters are in check (ie Ammo = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate < 20 ppm, pH appropriate to species, hardness appropriate to species), then it would seem to be a parasitic infestation (possibly flukes, maybe early stages of ich) with probable secondary infections from the gashes and gouges.

Non-iodised salt would help, but if you want to be sure Kanacyn / Melafix / Coppersafe / Quickcure / Maracyn are some of the names I have heard bandied around as being 'the stuff' used in these conditions. That said, a correct recognition of the ailment is needed before any solution is chosen.

If you're going to use salt, just make sure any pleco / catfish you have in there is not going to have adverse effects. Likewise, some medications may kill plecos / catfish. Read the label well and double-check with a good online resource.

I'll step aside on this one as I'm not 100% sure of the ailment atm.

Cheers - OziOscar.

I agree with what OziOscar is saying, 'Flashing' is a supposedly natural thing that the fish do in the wild. It can be described as them flicking against the bottom/rocks/plants/pots in a rapid motion.

If there is definately a skin irritation present (ie. visible) then a more in depth description is warranted, ideally photo's would be best. What ever the infection is do not waste time in getting the correct medication.

All the best

Sam.

Archived