Keeping water in drum

Josh

Ok in an effort to make my fish keeping a little less time consuming I have start to age my water in 220l drums. I was wondering how long it will last in the drums. I am only going to use half per water change, per week. Will the remaining water going to last until the second week. I know I could just half fill it but, its a whole lot easier if I can fill it to the top and add my salts

I've stored water in my 200L barrel for up to two weeks with no ill effects evident, due to being away with work. Therefore, can't see any problem with keeping the other half of the water in there and topping it up.

Regards,

Clinton.

I dont know what the water is like in Shellharbor but here in Sydney you should leave it in the drum about 2-3 weeks before you use it. I have 5 drums and if there is not many fish in the tanks I leave the water in the drums for months before useing them.

Thanks guys for the replies. the drum is black so no light gets in and I have a airstones running in the all the time.

G'day

I am not saying it is the only way to do it. But what I have found is that when I age my water for a week, the fish are healthier.

When I use water that has just been treated with prime, my fish are not as healthy.

PS I know plenty of people that do it the easy way, but I honestly believe the fish benefit from the aged water. (It is of course treated with safe, even though it is aged for a week).

G'day

I am not saying it is the only way to do it. But what I have found is that when I age my water for a week, the fish are healthier.

When I use water that has just been treated with prime, my fish are not as healthy.

PS I know plenty of people that do it the easy way, but I honestly believe the fish benefit from the aged water. (It is of course treated with safe, even though it is aged for a week).

Hi Little Swimmer,

I myself have been using aged water since day one of fish keeping and when I use the 'straight from the tap' method for reasons of emergency etc etc I too find my fish aren't as happy. A minimum of 24-48 hours in the drum either with airstones or a pump. I use a 6600 l/h pump which is connected to a 30 metre hose to enable me to come into the house to water change my display tank and when I need to age just put the return end into the barrel.

HTH

Cheers,

Nick.

Archived