Please id this fish

madcichlid

Hi Everybody,

This fish has been identified as Champsochromis spilorhynchus, he is gone now . I have kept the the female caeruleus and one male caeruleus is on the way. I am looking forward having a pair.

Thanks all for your input

Ziggy

user posted imageblush.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I agree with the others that it is Champsochromis spilorhynchus. As well as having a stockier body than C. caeruleus it also appears from the photo that the dorsal fin is more like C. spilorhynchus.

Even still it is a beautiful fish. Is it in a display tanK?

Ged

I'm have second thoughts on it being Champsochromis spilorhynchus. One of the distinquishing features of this species is a black lachrymal stripe that runs from the eye to the corner of the mouth. Your fish does not seem to have this in the photo that you have. Does it have this black stripe normally or is it just this picture? A picture of the female may help.

Gerard

G'day

I'm putting a large some of money on Champsochromis spilorhynchus, the caeruleus has a longer snout and is more blue then green.

i have kept both of these species and i am 99.9% sure its a spilo!

Cheers

Boyd blink.gif

watsonboyd@hotmail.com

my bets a spilo im keeping them at the moment. that black strip the male loses when it starts to colour up but sometime mine still shows up. and like someone said c.caeruleus has a more stremline body.

HTH

james

Hi Everybody,

I'm still not sure what it is if you have a look at the last pic, taken without a flash to me it looks more like a Champsochromis caeruleus. The female comes from a different shop, so no use to send a picture of her. I was going to breed this species now I have doubts. I'll have to take them to a shop in brisbane and see what they have to say about it. In the mean time I'll be searching for another male.

Here is a link of pic which looks similar to my

C.caeruleus pic

Thanks Again

Ziggy

The last photo makes me think Champsochromis caeruleus. None of the photos show the black stripe from the eye to the mouth. I know James said that his comes and goes. Has your male ever had this stripe?

Ged

I've had and seen adult caeruleus and I can safely say that it is not a caeruleus. The last picture sort of, could pass,as a caeruleus if you didn't have any other pics to choose from. The rest of the shots show a fish too short and broad in the body with a broad head. I think a profile shot of the boy and girl together may help or a shot of the boy totally side on, not zoomed in quite as much so we can see the length in the body. Does the fish have the same look as the girl??

bigsmile.gif Just read Ducksta's reply...could be the case also..

Hi again,

This is a shot of the girl, I'll try after work to get a profile shot of the two together. No I've never noticed any black stripe on this male but the girl has one.

user posted image

Thanks Ziggy

The only reason the last pic looks a bit like a caeruleus is because it's taken from above the fish, therefore you lose the depth aspect. It makes him look more topedo like than he really is.

Bretto.

This male is pretty slender more than the pics give away, I must ad that I haven't seen another male to compared with. In the females case she is 4 cm shorter than the male and more slender build she almost looks skinny. Lets see who they look when I can get both together for a pic. Might have to book them in for a photo shoot. woot.gif

Ziggy

The colours of Anitas fish looks similar to my and I wouldn't say that he looks slender either, finage is also similar but compare the head shape that's different.

Even if you go trough all the search engines and look at different pics you find that they always have a different look about them.

Cheers Ziggy

Hi All,

This the only decent picture I took with both of them together. See what you think. Thanks everybody for your input.

user posted image

Cheers Ziggy

Archived