Automatic Fish Feeders

Skippy

Hi all,

I going o/s next month for a while and I don't trust my mail collector to feed my fish properly so I thought I would give an automatic feeder a go. The sponsors have several brands ranging from cheap (and nasty?) to expensive.

Can anyone recommend any specific brands as good, bad or otherwise.

Cheers

Mike

I own an eheim auto fish feeder. Cost me about $100 (expensive) but it goes like clockwork and I have never lost a fish in the 2 years I have used it to feed them when I am away.

In fact it has been better than most people who baby-sit the fish because they don't get over fed. The number of times I have come back to a stinking discoloured tank is ridiculous.

DMJ

If you can't afford an auto feeder and need someone to look after your fish, I bought some pill boxes from a $2 shop (the ones the grannies use). Put the right amount of food in each section and then they cant overfeed unless they're a moron...

Cheers raisehand.gif

Richard

I have 3 of the Hagen ones. They look and feel like rubbish but they seem to work very well. They are a battery powered black box that rotates a hopper to scoop up an adjustable quantity of food twice a day, 12 hours apart. They don't have any settings aside from the quantity of food. I ran them for about 2 months this year and they seemed to work very well. Teamsherman popped in a ran the water changes and filled them up once a week.

A good hint for the auto feeders......Dont use flakes!!! From the humidity put off by the warm water temps and evaporation it clumps the flakes together and renders the feeders useless. Pellets are a must in these units.

Archived