Feeding white bait.

Tam

Hi Guys,

interested to know who feeds there tankbusters with wait bait instead of live feeders, eg goldfish, guppies etc

do they eat them?

its more cheaper than feeders and less risk of disease transfer right?

also how do you prepare them?

do you chop up to small pieces / cut the tail off? or just thaw it and drop it in ?

Im considering going to get some and try it to see if my aro takes it

Tam

I use white bait for my Barra and it loves them. My Oscar has started to devour them as well.

I found that they are an easy alternative to breeding convicts just for the purpose of feeding my Barra.

Preparation for me is thawing them out in a net and then sending them down, they normally dont get near the bottom.

Do you guys reckon fussy red devils will take them?

I dont know about fussy fish, as mine are far from that, they are cheap enough to just give them a go. If not you have a perfect reason to throw a line in.

Yeah, good call!! thumbup.gif

If anyone would like to know where to get good cheap whitebait, then let me know as I'm your man. My Fronties love 'em also.

Cheers,

Nick.

If anyone would like to know where to get good cheap whitebait, then let me know as I'm your man. My Fronties love 'em also.

Cheers,

Nick.

can i take a guess? the fish markets in pyrmont?

ok another , flemington market?

Tam

That's right Tam. I'm a seafood wholesaler at the Sydney Fish Markets. Fresh Krill coming off the boats in a couple of months also. Teed up a couple of fishermen as I do every year.

Nick.

which ones did you buy Illusn8? fresh ones or the tackle shop ones?

I got some from the tackle shop "tweed heads whitebait", my aro dont even look at em... sad.gif

Tam

Tam I get mine from my brother bait shop...yes the Tweed Heads ones.....try filleting the white bait Tam it easier for them to take down............

Both my Jardini and my oscar take the 1.5"-2" long white bait including the head and tail. no problems. i just get them thawed from the seafood section of my local supermarket.

do whitebait generally carry diseases?

Wess

if you get them from the super market, i wouldn't be too worried about them.

Tam

you may have to cut them up into smaller pieces to start with,[ if they're not used to this type of food,] untill they get used to them.

i feed my marine predators any size up to 6~~7cm, and get my fingers out of the way, fast!!

Archived