Looking for burtoni?

The Nightstalker

gday,when i first got into cichlids the first one i had where ones that wher sold to me as burtoni's(or something similar)it was a few years ago,and i havent been able to find any more,I was wondering if any one had any idea as to what they would be called,they looked very much like brownae and calliptera(forgive the spelling)........................thanks

Hi,

To my knowledge they are still called H. burtoni (unless they have been moved to the Astatotilapia genus??). You should be able to find them around - they are pretty common in Perth.

merjo

Hi -

I think a ring round the local fish shops would be a good idea. I know St George did have some (but this was a long time ago now - 1999) so I'm not sure if they kept any for breeding?

HTH -

I got stacks of them but i am in Melbourne, mine however were sold to me from St George Dec 2002 as host for the wild multipunctatus i bought.

Breed like rabbits, amazing how many fry they have for such a small fish comparative to others with lesser mouthfulls.

Mark

Also found in Lake Kivu as it flows into Tanganyika by the Rusizi river, they can be found in the lake and sourounding rivers. I think there are other Haplochimitids that are related to all the lakes, predominantly Victoria..

Is strange that they are not listed in any of my Ad Konings tang books, anyone know why this is???is it because they are found outside the lake and in the rivers aswell?

Just as an extra i used to catch these from the local gardens up here in rocky, the grounds keeper got wee wEEed with them as they were killing all the natives, purple spotted gudgeons and his barra fry that he was adding...had about 20 of them bred really easily and yes had big broods for a mouth brooder.. eventually got rid of them all as they were mega aggressive to anything in the tank..

Archived