check out this guy fishes collection

emp1re

you can buy Delhezi , albinos, sengalese, and ornates here, not many armoured or other species around. Senegals you should be able to get for cheap, plenty are bred locally. I know i sold justin a few, when they were starting to breed, eggs never hatched for me though. Bichirs are goin for around $600-$800, excluding the senegalese. they you can get for like $300. it pays to look around. Try ideal, atlanats, riverside, slippery little suckers. Also if you talk to people at the lfs, sometimes they may be able to source you some privately for much cheaper.

Great fish to have, im looking to purchase some myself, i have been offered some orantes around 30cm a couple of months back for very cheap, though i didnt have the space for them at the time.

yeah they are bichirs, the guys is a member of this forum.

http://www.endlichericlub.net/forums/index.php

what NIck say is correct , bichirs can set u back $600-$800 privately for

Ornate, albino,

retail $1000 -$1200 exclude the senegalus (which is the cheapest ).

so far this is what i got:

Polyterus delhezi

Polyterus ornatipinnis

Polyterus senegalus (got this from Nick)

Polyterus senegalus albino

next week i m getting Polyterus polli

and hopefully (fingers cross) Polyterus endilicheri (the best looking)

I'm impressed. How big do they grow in an aquarium (bigger than the stated 12 in?) and what do you guys feed them on? I noticed on a lot of sites they feed them feeder fish or frogs. What else will they take readily?

They look quite placid. Do they move around much or just when they feed?

Does anyone have pics of their own fish?

Nick, you'll be the ruin of me laugh.gif

Phenomena: delhezi(scientific name) and armour(trade name) are the same fish

Andy: they are a bottom dwelling fish. they are more active then catfish but not

as active as a cichlid (i hope u get what i mean)

they readily eat any thing, i feed my mainly high protein sinking pellets. sometime

i feed them blood worm and chop up shrimp.

size: ornate- 60cm, delhezi - 40cm, endlicheri - 60cm. they don't really need a

big size , about a 6x2x2 can house a lot depending on filteration.

some further reading

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/keeping_polypterus.htm

parrdog: in Singpore, the frog are farm breed. and they sell very cheap as feeders.

How do they go as a single fish or a pair?

If I decided to look into getting one, I'd only be able to dedicate a 4x2 tank for it.

well Andy 4x2 is enough for bichirs, they not a very active fish, so they dont require plenty of swimming space, All your bichirs i think will eventually be here in aus, and i think its quite possible that they wil be bred in captivity, meaning more and cheaper bichirs. Plus you are starting to see all the other rare fish starting to surface. So i think i might just invest in a 10x3x3. Which was what i origianlly wanted. Hey justin how much did you pay for your ornates?

nick!

Emp1re,

That's funny. A LFS where they have some armoured told me they're not the same. I thought they are too. So I was correct all a long. You've got some collections there. How much is the cheri you're getting?

Thanks for the info guys.

Who are the best local breeders to talk to (that have good quality fish)?

Is there anything you need to look for in regards to quality?

What is the difference in attitude from the different types? are any regarded as more aggressive / harder to keep etc?

How well do they ship?

Sorry for all the questions, and sorry to say there will be lots more probably laugh.gif

breeding of this specie in aquarium is a rare event. Most of the time, eggs are lay but no hatching. I heard of two times someone in aus got was luck enough

to get the eggs hatch. But can't get them to repeat. THey do lays around 200-300 eggs and hatch is around 50%.

I found the best place to get them is Slippery Little Suckers, they seem to alway

sell at a very good . recently (a months ago), they got senegalus for $400, ornate and albino for $550. that is a very good price consisting Riverside and Ideal aquarium sell ornate and albino fopr $1100-$1200.

Tim: up there Wetpetz got some , not sure on price.

Are they an allowable import?

If they aren't I'll delete this post (not the whole thread, just this post asking if they are allowables wink.gif )

• 1 month later...
Mabye one day LOL.gif i could do the doggy

I wont go there!! shock.gif

Anyways, awesome looking fish, but i dont know if i could feed them frogs cryblow.gifsad.gif being a keen herper and all!!!

Any reason why they wont breed in captivity so well????

Archived