How high with 10mm glass

Beardie

Just wondering how high can a tank get with 10mm glass and still be safe/secure?

Thanks

Some people are prepared to take the risk for the saving of a few bucks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Personally I wouldn't risk my fish or for that matter my surround sound unit, T.V etc on the added height. Glad to see its working for you though smile.gif

I think common practice and sense would say anything over 2foot should be in 12mm

Roos link to the NZ web site is based on Euopean tanks which are different to ours. They dont have bridges or top cleats. THe Germans have DIN standard for tanks and it is very highly specified. It probably is better to be safe than sorry but is also a waiste to unneccessarily over specify. A major Aquarium in Sydney sells 48" x 24" x 26" in 8mm glass and they are sold as a premium product and are very nice tanks. A tank 48" x 18" x 30" is fine in 10mm glass but 48" x 24" x 30" probably should be 12mm all round. There are 100s of 6x2x2s sold in Sydney every year out of 10mm glass, the numbers have it, they are fine. There are many assumptions on the web site sighted earlier that I feel make it fairly useless. It is correct if you are talking about unbridged, uncleated(bladed) tanks. As soon as you fabricate a top structure into a tank all those figures are inappropriate.

If I go to some trouble to write this up properly, would it be posted premanently in this forum???

Craig.

Craig I am sure it would make its way to permanent residency in the FAQ forum thumb.gif

Surely glass quality is a big factor here too? I know I can get cheap glass, but I wouldn't want to be using it for much more than lids just quietly dntknw.gif

so craig what youve actually stated is exactly what we were all saying if the tank is over 24inches high (irrespective of width or length) it should be made in 12mm (24inches and over 18inches 10mm) i for one would not buy a 48x24x26 tank in 8mm glass even if it is sold as a "premium product" because you and i both know where we can buy a properly made tank in 10mm ,however i know you have a lot of knowledge on this subject and know what you say is true, but i dont think id get a 48x24x26 in 8 mm home and into my house in one piece mad.gif

The "safety factor" thing refered to makes little sense to me also. A domestic house the number 7 is quoted. The guide wires on Centre point Tower the number is 50. Who decided the number??? 2 or 3.8 is quoted for fish tanks, but who decided this number?

There is one great thing about glass, it is clear and all defects can be easily seen so the need for high level safety factors seems silly as the whole thing is visable and it requires no skill to determine defects, a house is a totally different situation. Those 8mm tanks have proven in service to be satisfactory, so it comes down to personal choice I guess. Up to 30" high, 18" or less front to back in 10mm is fine, proven by obervation. THere is a difference in the hardness of glass determined by the manufacturing process and the sand used to make it. However, I really don't think there is sufficient difference to concern anyone other than an aquarium manufaturer.

Craig.

I probably should have this point a little more explicit;

A tank 48" long and 6" from front to back and 36" high out of 10mm glass would be structually adequet. It only holds 150 litres of water! It may not even need a bridge. My point is other things beside height determine glass thinkness and the length of a tank does not increase the need for glass thickness in a fabricated bridged tank.

smile.gif))))

Archived