4000 litre tank

Neil

I have been told that when installing the 19mm glass in the stainless steel angle place it in the corner of the steel with spacers and silicone between the steel and glass.

This leaves little room for loxins into the concrete and the bolts exposed in the tank.

My question is would the angle iron be as efective outside with the bolts outside the tank and the glass siliconed between the concrete and the glass , ange iron and glass.

The span is 3 metres and depth 1.1

thanks

Neil

Hi Nelly raisehand.gif

In my opinion you would be better off with the angle placed on the outside of the glass for 2 x reasons.

1. As stated the loxins would be in the water and unless you use 316 stainless steel fixings($$$$$), you will eventually have corrosion, then weakness of the fixing, and possible contamination of your water too. blink.gif

2. If the angle was on the outside it would prevent any such corrosion and would be definately stronger too, as the pressure exerted by the water, would be against the angle/silicone joint. If the angle was on the inside you are relying on the silicone joint only - the water pressure would be away from the angle. wink.gif

Looking forward to some pictures of the project soon, too. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

WAZ.

Waz the glass would be in the tank with the angle outside just turned end for end, so the internal corner of the angle is inside with or outside .

When the internal corner is inside the glass weight would be on top of the steel on the floor with bolts further inside.

When the internal corner is out the glass would be on the floor with angle outside .

Would this lead to the steel being forced back possibly lifting the and loosing seal whereas the silicone under the glass would be compressed if the steel moved when the bolts are inside

Hope I haven't confused you to much

Neil

Well, I’m confused. I think what you are asking is in which directing you should have the angel iron? And not wether or not you should have the iron inside or outside the tank?

That is, wether to have it so the glass fits into the angle, or have the iron facing the other way so that the back of the angel iron is against the glass, allowing you to put bolts through the iron and attach it to the floor?

I would be more inclined to have the glass fit into the angel iron, and perhaps you could pre-weld some further pieces to the back of this and bolt through them to the floor?

Craig

I'm confused too dntknw.gif

When the internal corner is inside the glass weight would be on top of the steel on the floor with bolts further inside

Do you mean you are bolting the tank together or something rather than relying on silicone?

What are the dimensions of the tank and what exactly are you trying to do?

Keen to hear more thumb.gif

Geez I'm glad I am not the only one confused, guys. dntknw.gif

He really threw me a wobbly with that one. LOL.gif

I'm going to Neil's for a schooner of whatever he's having. wink.gif

WAZ.

Sounds like a large besser brick, concrete tank 300cm longx 110cm high, and 120cm wide as a guess, with a glass veiwing panel, actually would it be an impressive size tank, that could have heaps of nice rock work in it.

I would go with the put the glasss within the elbow of the angle, using aluminium or stainless steel. drill, and counter sink holes in it fixing it into place with long strong screws so that they sit flush, I would then fill the angle with silicone and slide glass into place, so that the screws are covered by the glass and silicone. Spacers to lift the pane a tad would be a good idea ~2mm.

If you do use the bigger bolts so that they will sit behind the glass, within the tank, than i beleive that you can get stainless steel dyna bolts, but as mentioned not cheap. Asthetically these would be covered by sand or gravel aswell so no probs there.

I think the only drama will be finding a silicone to seal the metal frame to the concrete that is fish safe, maybe even a polyurathane type substance painted over the join for sealing ~$60/liter

Good luck with it and pics please.... thumb.gif

Archived