Mixing 'Cobwe'+demasoni''+flavus'

CThompson

comments.....

1) get more tanks, one for each species, to give these each the space they deserve

2) sell other species so you can make space for these fish

3) not worry and produce some fantastic looking hybrids.

you should never mix mbuna species

I think there was a thread a few weeks ago discussing mixing demasoni and flavus, afra weren't involved though. Maybe look back a couple of pages?

It would make a nice display - I can't see it working long term if all 3 species are looking to get jiggy in there.

The cobwe could never hope to compete against the aggressive nature of demasoni or flavus.

I'd never put anything in with demasoni or flavus personally. You could probably find some less aggressive tankmates for cobwe though. Maybe a peacock or other smaller hap?

Couldn’t find it Ducksta, went back ten pages. Perhaps I missed it. Did find other interesting posts on demasoni though.

Gav, I have been successfully breeding yellows, cobalts and Maingano in the same tank for ….more than 2 years. I have NEVER had them cross. tongue.gif Choice one - no room for more tanks. I like your choice two though. Maybe it's time. Choice three - is called live food is it not? bigsmile.gif

I have concerns about the flavus and demasoni as not only are they are the same species, though they have different colours, both have barring.

I also have concerns in regards to the aggression levels of demasoni and flavus, compared with the Cobwe.

Craig

There ya go, it was in technical rolleyes.gif I knew it happened though.

I have yellows in with my demasoni, the yellows are too young to breed ATM, but I am sure I wont have any hybrid issues, and if I did, they should stick out like sore thumbs.

I personally have found demasoni breed better with other fish around. The females get into condition better prior to each spawn while the male is distracted belting yellows LOL.gif

Hi Craig,

Gav, I have been successfully breeding yellows, cobalts and Maingano in the same tank for ….more than 2 years.

Yep three diffrent types of genus there.

Labidiochromis - Melanochromis - Pseudotropheus thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Im really amazed at you Craig asking if you could put 2 x Pseudotropheus species together. woot.gif

You know all about blue green algae and diffrent filter water pressures but you still dont know what can go with what. You really have me stumped me on this subject. cool.gif

Brett

I personally have found demasoni breed better with other fish around. 

I agree with ducksta, I have the demasoni with a few Copadichromis azureus.

One female held to term twice in two months. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

They both stay out off each others way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Craig,

Demasonis and cobwes can breed side by side. They grow up to pretty much the same size and have similar temperaments. I have 2 young colonies growing up in the same tank and both just started to breed and they do not bother each other. Also, since they are from different families and having different colour pattern you do not have worry about cross-breeding.

Roland

Archived