Had an interesting chat recently

Ant

G'day people, i thaught id share somthing with you frontoasa freaks out there. Spoke with an older gentleman the otherday at work. He was amased to see frontosa in the shop being sold. He said 30yrs (?) or more ago he imported a pair of Frontosa and a colony of D.Comps. Of course i asked if he knew what part of the lake his frontosa came from and he didn't have a clue, he said they were just known by their species name and not the location. He said he sold these guys by the hundreds so i'd say his bloodline will still be alive today. This is 'some' evidence that our 6 bars are possably "locationless".

Anthony raisehand.gif

Sorry I forgot his name, he isn't into the hobby anymore except that he supplies shops with live blackworms and brineshrimp blink.gif. Will found out though smile.gif.

thats pretty much what my dad said when i asked what he use to bring in , seemed to be the way back then being 25 years ago when i first rember us having a few fonnies , but even 15 years ago a mate of the family was bringing them in and they looked a lot differant then ours , seemed they where all the same and put into one large tank to breed up , i know a few of these went to sydney so they would have made up some of whats about today ,

And don't forget that those fronties that have been bred here for 30 years have essentially been line bred too - especially in recent times when straight bars and more blue is sought after. So the Aussie strain 6 bars of today may well look quite different from those of the original importation.

Frontosa in the lake are often found with split bars (yes they can have 6 on one side, 7 on the other and not necessarily be a hybrid), hoop bars and crossed bars, broken bars etc. These sorts of bars are seen as defects amongst breeders and are regularly culled out when they appear - which is less often now that we are selecting for straight bars.

Cheers,

Jess

Archived