Cleaning Aqua Clear 300

mickgibbo

I've got an Aquaclear mini but it's the same in principle...

I only use sponge unless I need to remove meds or something. You could use two sponges if you wanted.

I Squeeze out the sponge in old tank water every 2nd water change (ie: every 2nd week)

I clean the impellor roughly every four water changes.

I probably replace the sponge once a year, out of worry that it might dis-intergrate & go through the tank.

I've had the mini on my 2' tank for over 5 years without any dramas, great filter in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Ash

I use both AC300 & AC500's and clean the media in tank water every fortnight and give the housing and propeller a clean once a month. For media I use the sponge that comes with them on the bottom, polyester cot wadding on top of the sponge and media bags full of matrix rocks on top.

The only media to use is the sponge that comes in the box(throw the carbon in the bin). I use 2 in most of my AC's...or I make up my own media-bags using stockings as the bag, full of Matrix or Dinitrate(whatever media you like).

I rinse the sponges/media about every fortnight, tho I am not religious about it, and I clean the whole unit at the same time. This adds maybe 5 minutes to the media-cleaning time so I see little point in putting it of.

HTH

I am only running 1 aquaclear at the moment, an aquaclear300 on my 100L multifasciatus tank.

Because the filter is kinda big for the tank, and the tank is also not heavily stocked, I clean it once every 6 mths. Cleaning involves some impellor attention too.

I use 3 sponges in it, no need for any other media in my opinion, and you should never need to replace the sponges.

One of these sponges came from an old filter I am not currently using, and the sponge would be around 10 years old I think.

Archived