Differences of Saratoga species

Kazaf

Hi guys,

I'm interested in getting a Saratoga for myself, I dont really know which one to get between the 2 types.

I need to know the differeces between each type, which ones are more attractive as they grow bigger, maintainance/care of each, and aggressiveness.

Additional info would be great thumb.gif

Also, how do you tell between each type? I cant tell the differences but the colour of their scale.

Im thinking of putting them with my 6bar frontosa colony, 5 in total, and 15cm+ gold pleco, and a 9cm gold pleco.

to be placed in a standard 5foot tank.

Wondering if this is ok.

Thanks wink.gif

jardini has markings on the gill plates and is a calmer more expensive fish , leicharti has no marks on gills and in older fish orange spots on the scales its more common and cheaper and is much more likely to take a trip onto the carpet woot.gif also imo saras get too big for a standard tank they need a mimum of 4x2x2 preferably a 6x2x2 and will annoy the hell out of your fronnies ,these fish dont lurk, their constantly on the move and need room , also imo your tank is overstocked already

The Jardini has got my vote. To me, it looks more like the asian arowana than the Leichardti does. Mine seems to be really jumpy tho.

Doing a search on Google, will provide you with much info on these 2 species along with pics of each. IMO, an adult J has better colouration that the L.

L's develop their barbels later on that the J's do. so if at 10cm, you see barbels, it will most likely be a J.

jardini has markings on the gill plates and is a calmer more expensive fish , leicharti has no marks on gills and in older fish orange spots on the scales its more common and cheaper and is much more likely to take a trip onto the carpet woot.gif also imo saras get too big for a standard tank they need a mimum of 4x2x2 preferably a 6x2x2 and will annoy the hell out of your fronnies ,these fish dont lurk, their constantly on the move and need room , also imo your tank is overstocked already

Im only buying a small one, and when it grows too big for the tank I'll consider buying a larger tank or selling the fish.

Thanks for the links hungsta.

Also thank others for the info.

none of Repz's nor Novafishy's links worked for me, just gobblygook. Maybe it's a firefox thing. I have a leichardti...only one here it seems laugh.gif I think as far as looks go everyone is different...at the end of the day they are both nice.

IMO/E S. jardini is more aggressive, and remains smaller.

If this is true then Im glad i have a leichardti because I would not want a fish any more aggressive than what mine is...my girlfriend has named him Agro laugh.gif. It's been pretty good lately regarding skittishness except during yesterdays water change he tried to jump twice. Need to move him into bigger tank methinks LOL.gif

I also have a Leichardti. I got him as a present at about 10cm and now 13 months later he is almost 50cm!! Be prepared for exceptional growth rates. I have never experienced him trying to jump, he gets a bit freaked at times, especially if the only light on is coming from tv at night (the coloured lights freak him) but he usually just jets to the other side if the tank. As for agression it leaves the datnoid, gibby's and smaller grunters alone but does chase the jungle perch a bit.

believe it or not i caught my 30cm sara in a net about 10cmx10cm (opening) as he was swimming up and down i just stuck it in front of him a he stuck his head in the net ,i then grabbed him round the tail and out he came!! woot.gif

A question..

If your Saratoga reaches at a size about 20cm-30cm, and you need to take him out of the tank, how will this be done?

fishin rod and a lure thumb.giftongue.gif

this is(was) my jardini (wild caught) tongue.gif

user posted image

I really meant to catch it in a tank.

But nice work with that catching of that very large saratoga you got there clap.gif

It looks abit red, what type is that?

I have never experienced him trying to jump, he gets a bit freaked at times, especially if the only light on is coming from tv at night

You mean it has never tried to jump? Whats your secret? Mine gets quite skittish at times then at other times he is fine. dry.gif

Archived