Red devil Question

Dragon_Lord_Tia

i was just at one of my friends places and his MALE red devil laided this weired white stuff on a rock. it sorta looks like eggs but their furry and its extremly aggro to anything that goes near it.

i dont have a pic yet but the RD is getting its cranal hump,and his fins are long and pointy(thats how i sexed it)

does anyone know what it could be i have no idea

I dont want to sound like a know it all, but id advise that your mate has the red devil sexed by a experienced fish guru as i have a red dev which i have been under the impression it was a male for the last 7 months but when i took it in to have the sex confirmed i was told it was a female. Plus the day before i had it sexed i bought a female so they could mate but all they did was fight, thats when i had my doubts and the next day i had it confirmed my beloved male was actuallly a little female. So i took the new one back and swapped it for a confirmed male and they are getting along fine.

I think your friends 'male' Red Devil is probably a female and possibly egg bound and trying to expel her eggs.

I also think that the so called nuchal hump supposedly being restricted only to males is crap - I've had mature female Black Belts and Synspillum with pronounced

humps give birth to fry. The nuchal hump sounds like something Axelrod came up with.

Nick

OK, just to show you how pointy Central American girls fins can be, here is a couple of picture's of the rear end of my definate female (has bred) salvini

fa3262e9.jpg

fa3262eb.jpg

This has been my pet hate for quite a while, when people ask "how do I sex ..." and 50 online people say, "easy, males have pointy fins" when this is definately not the case...

Archived