Media for AC300

pride

Hello,

I'm currently running on my tank 2 AC300's. In these I just have the filter pad and carbon bags that came with the filters plus I have filled AC media bags with some bio rocks ( not sure on the brand ) and put those in each AC. I have had no problems with my tank in the 3 months it has been running but I was wondering what better ways I could pack these filters. I would like to maybe ditch one of the carbon bags and just keep the one as I have some wood in the tank. Can anyone suggest any ideas and also what order the media should be packed?

Thanks

Adam

Firstly...Activated-Carbon has a finite life-span and is only good for a shortwhile. So throw the Carbon-Bags you are currently using out now :wub

The AC300-500's are great B'coz you can use just about any media you like in them. What I do is keep the foam and ditch the Carbon-Bag(coz I never remember to toss them out in time)...then I raid "The Cook's" stocking draw and make myself some Media-Bags. Substrate-type media or Noodle-type media is all good, IMO, as is the foam.

It is more dependant, somewhat, on what you want to filter rather than the type of filter you have.

What I mean by that is, if you want to filter out small particles it is better to use foam and filter-wool. However, for bio-filtration I would say that the Substrate/Noodle type of media is the way to go.

My suggestion, seeing as you are using 2 AC300's is to go with the best of both. Use one of the 300's for bio-filtration and the other for filtering particles.

It is likely that the particle filter will need cleaning more often than the Bio-filter but your water should be Crystal-clear.

HTH

Sarah, I buy the larger Faom Mats that are used in the Pond filter-box's and then cut them up into bits that fit the AC's...I also use the same foam on all of my cannister filters and would use it in a Sump-filter too, if I had one.

I am sure there are other even cheaper alternatives but at $10-15 for a large piece of foam, it is cheap enough to keep me happy :8

Just watch what you use and from where. As most foam and so called filter matting is made for enclosed fan units and air conditioner filters. These do contain toxins. Most shop staff would not have a clue about what these products are made of. I would only buy from places that specialize in foam so they can guarantee you that it is aquarium safe and make sure you ask. Last i knew clark rubber sold the right foam for about $6 a square foot of 50 mm thick foam and there was only that one type safe out of the whole shop.

Archived