Quick Heater Question

darkmuncan

Hey guys,

Im new to these forums, and to this great hobby, so firstly hello smile.gif

I have just bought a 5x2x2 tank and im planning on keeping Malawi's

I have already got 1 x 300W heater, and would like to know is 1 enough for a tank of that size?

Or should i get another 300w?

Ive done a forum search and cant find a definitive answer,

cheers

Mark

i agree with roo, with a tank that size (5x2x2) at maximum water it holds 540L thats all the way to the tip of the tank.

i fyou have a 5cm distance from the top of the tank then it would be 495L and therefore another 200 watt heater would be recomended. another 300 woul dbe good.

hope it helps.

With the heaters arn't you trying to warm the tank compared to the outside temp?

I mean if its 34degs outside the tank the heater would not be needed.

Also I remember reading a post telling the wattage compared with temp and water volume... maybe a mod could link that post in..

I guess what I'm trying to say a 300 watt heater will be fine if your only trying to heat the water a few deg more than the outside temp. During winter you might need another heater or to insulate the tanks..

wow.. I think that was my biggest post yet... thumb.gif

In additon for $12 ( approx) it is worth having a back up heater any way. Considering that the tank will potentially hold a large $$$$ amount of fish.

What do you have to lose?

You could also probably buy a spare to stick in the cabinet in case of an unforseen emergency.

Hi and welcome!

I use 2 x 300W heaters in my 5 x 2 x 2. It is better to have a "higher than necessary" wattage because the heaters will not be "on" all the time. This in turn will lengthen their life and be cheaper in the long run on power.

merjo smile.gif

You could use a single external 300watt hydor heater that runs off the canister filter outflow pipe. I have a 200watt hydor on my 250L tank and it works a treat.

No ugly heaters in the tank thumb.gif

If you need two heaters in winter, then two heaters are needed.

If you set two (or more heaters up), don’t put them on the same temperature. For example, if you decide you want the temperature at say 26 degrees, set the first heater at this temperature, and set the second heater just below this.

If you have both heaters set at the same temperature, the thermostat will cause both heaters to go off and on, which will wear both of them out in the long run.

If you have them set at different temperatures, the second one will only come on when needed (for example after a long colder spell in Winter), while one will do the bulk of the work. This also means if one heater does have a problem, there is a back up for it.

Be careful that you don’t put too much wattage in there as if a heater has the thermostat stick to ON, you don’t really want one heater to get so hot in the amount of water to kill the fish. Harder to organise than say I know, but keep it in your thoughts when purchasing your heaters.

Craig

Archived