Cobalt zebra

Nigel

Anybody know what this is? As I am not good at mbuna ID I thouhgt some one might have an idea. Its supposed to be Metriaclima estherae or is it Metriaclima callainos. The problem is the bars all the Cobalt zebras I have seen dont have them. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

user posted image

looks like Metriaclima Callainos to me thumb.gif

EDIT: I've changed my mind after looking at some pics Looks like Metriaclima Estherae with those bars.

Hi Nigel,

I'm no expert on Cobalt Blues (the real expert is some guy called Cobaltcraig blink.gif ) but I've got 30 Cobalts (Metriaclima callainos), developing into a nice colony, and none of them are showing any barring like the fish in your photo.

Cheers,

Lee.

I agree with everyone I dont think its a Cobalt zebra either. The guy who has it thinks its a Metriaclima estherae from what I can find out about these they are still not sure this is even a species. So some of you maybe right it may be a hybrid. Does anyone know anything about this Estherae species?

I was breeding M. callanois "cobalt blue zebras" for a year and none of them had barring. The cobalt blues have also a more elongated body, compared to other zebras that have deep body. The one on the picture has a deeper body so I suspect it is a M. estherae (but I am not an expert on them).

Roland

Hi all,

Well, just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water.......

I had no doubt that Metriaclima estherae was a true species (we saw them at Minos Reef and caught some for Esther Grant's loungeroom display pond). I believe the confusion here lies with the 'Pulu Point' zebras (now there's a doubtful species! tongue.gif ). Several breeders have claimed that the 'Pulu Point' zebras are linked/related to the estherae dry.gif

To clarify things in my own mind I had a look at Ad Koning's 'Malawi 3'. After all, I think it was Ad who discovered the estherae and named them after Stuart Grant's wife Esther.

Well, blow me down, on page 56 Ad has a photo of a Metriaclima callainos 'Chitande Island' that looks very similar to the photo posted by Nigel. It certainly has barring ohmy.gif Nigel's photo also looks very much like the Metriaclima estherae 'Gome Rock' shown on page 57.

So, the confusion still hasn't been resolved. But I still haven't seen any barred Metriaclima callainos in Australia, and I tend to agree with the general concensus that the fish in the photo isn't a Metriaclima callainos.

Cheers,

Lee.

I guess I should say that the photo is a fish someone I know in Canada has. I think I should have said that from the start. So it may very well be an estherae. The problem he has is that its in a tank with what I believe to be callainos.

Hi Nigel,

I would say if it is one of the fish you mentioned it would be Metriaclima estherae, i have about 100 cobalts at home at the moment and there is definatley no barring. But the fish to me looks like Metriaclima sp. "blue zebra" i have seen collected from Maleri Island dry.gif

I couldnt find a pic on the net

Cheers

Steve

It is a metriaclima estherae i have fry at the moment at 3cm the young males have the barring while the girls are orange. The adults are at a friends house and the male looks a cobolt blue type of fish ,will look for the barring next time i am around there. There is a picture on Big Sky Cichlids showing a blue cobolt type male with light bars and red tinges (could be from colour food) named as maylandia estherae.

John

Archived