Tankbuster wishlist

emp1re

they are out of reach for many, unless you are a millionaire. $15k USD thats about $25k AUD shock.gif a piece

Even if, you need atleast six adult size to pair up and a huge pond / tank to breed. Maybe we all chip in to get RTGs in Aust. and start setting up a backyard breeding farm lol

I have never owned a genuine tankbuster so I don't speak from experience (the biggest fish I own is a fossochromis rostratus).

I went down to Melbourne on the weekend and visited St Kilda aquarium. They had a couple of big tanks with genuine tankbusters. There was a black Pacu that must have been over 2 feet long and 20cm wide. It made the giant gourami look like a bit of a weener. It was a really impressive fish - more like owning a dog than a fish. It came to the side of the tank and really eye-balled me!

I suppose what I mean is that people refer to "tankbusters" and include relatively small fish like festae and green terrors or arrowana's etc. If I were going to buy a tankbuster it would be a genuine monster of a fish because it is size that is the dominant characteristic rather than colour or uniqueness that would make it stand out. The obvious problem with my plan is paying for a tank that is big enough and with glass thick enough to hold it. One day maybe........

DMJ

I am not saying arowana's are small only that when I think of the concept "tank buster" I think of a fish so huge (and perhaps aggressive) that it could bust a tank.

Arowanas definitely do grow quite long but are relatively sedate and most likely to hit their head on the lid than smash through the side of the tank.

I have no problem with people here calling the aro a tankbuster but when I think of that term it evokes something a substantially more imposing than an aro.

DMJ

PS I would also like to see more votes for Aussie tankbusters!

2 things confusing me in this thread:

empire - listed the price of Lungfish in US$$$, any reason?

the breeder is the only authorised breeder to export the QLD lungfishes.

So their price is peg to the US dollars .

Foai: my friend have a silver arrowana that is 90cm

my arrowana is 55cm and it once swallow a whole 20cm Geophagus bradybranchus

foai-

Festae maximum size is 50cm and pretty chunky... I reckon that's gotta be pretty damn close to tankbuster status.

Dunno about busting a tank, but one that size would bust most things in a tank laugh.gif

Aro's and Sara's smash lids of tanks (maybe cross-bars?), so i reckon they're definitely "Tankbusters" in the true sense of the term.

Not really arguing anything in particular as i don't really care what people think is a tankbuster or not, just sharing my take. wink.gif

Andy

I truely think aros are tankbusters because when i was working at a lfs before, they happen to purchase a huge 1.2m silver and about 15cm thick! We placed him in a 6X2X2 holding thank with 12mm glass just for the week until the 12ft was up and running, we placed bricks on the lids etc...but next think we noticed was once we opened the store up the next day, was a broken 6ft tank (jumped and broke the side and the top of the tank) and it landed on the floor dead and mouth opened (very tell jump, the tank was over 2m over the floor). After that day they place most they big fish in the 12X4X3 with 25mm glass and a huge hood etc.

Giant Gouramis can also be quite strong. My dad had a huge one back in Vietnam and was kepted in a huge ceramic pot for storing water. This huge and very thick. They can smash through those pots like a hot knife on butter. Very strong fish.

I found a link to a website for a fish called an alligator garfish. It is an american freshwater garfish that can grow over 10 feet long. Have a look at this 8 foot specimen at the bottom of this page. Now that is a tankbuster - yoiks!

Atractosteus spatula

Realistically you would never get that bad boy into a fishtank unless it was the size of a swimming pool.

DMJ

Realistically you would never get that bad boy into a fishtank unless it was the size of a swimming pool. 

DMJ

I beg to differ Foai, check out Riverside aquarium, and in their monster tank to the right and back of the entrance they have one of these bad boys in there. Extremely ugly yet mesmerisingly fascinating!

i hate to break it to ya's but it is clown knifes for that price.

although it has been a couple of months since they last had them in.

but they do still have a 15'' one in the asian display tank with a simease tiger.

y don't u buy it for $18.50 and resell back to me for $185. i would definitely buy

it back $185 for a Clown knife. that would give u a handsome profit.

hey justin have a look at the link "foai" placed in th earlier post, doesnt it look indentical to the one i sold you? By the way the gars were originally from riverside (norm)

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Desc...ligatorGar.html

nick!

y don't u buy it for $18.50 and resell back to me for $185. i would definitely buy

it back $185 for a Clown knife. that would give u a handsome profit.

Archived