***emergency***

illusn8

the tank has been cycled for about 4wks, everything was fine until lastnight reading reached about 5ppm. I did 25% water change added some nutrafin Cycle lastnight, checked this morning reading still the same....

adding salt is said to help relieve some of the osmotic(sp?) stress that nitrite puts on the fish, might be an idea to add some if you haven't already.

I'd follow RDman's suggestions, at the very least stop feeding them till it's undetr control. Maybe save the next water change till tomorrow if you are worried about changing too much too soon.

Hi,

A few more info will be good, so we can help you identify where the problem is.

1. What size of tank

2, What filtration

3. How was it cycled..?

4. How many fish and what type & size

5. Anything else in the tank..?

6. What is the reading of Amonia? Nitrite, Nitrate?

In the meantime:

If you have another tank, move most of the fish and leave a couple that you can bare to loose.

Do a daily water change of 50% and reduce/ stop feeding (as per RD's advise)

HTH

Charlie

Sounds to me like you have rushed in the addition of fish. nitrite spike is naturally the second stage of a new tank setup. (after an ammonia spike)

If the tank was cycled "fully" before you added fish, my guess would be that the load it was cycled with was alot smaller, hence with the larger fish load, it needs to cycle again to reach a level it can keep up. Alternately, the cycled level was alot higher than the new stock level, and thus bacteria are dying in big numbers due to starvation, causing a spike.

Did you cycle it with fish or without fish?

And I am guessing you have just started to add your fish. How many did you add and what size are they ?

illusn8,

I think the key points here are that you need to do the water changes suggested in the previous threads, to get your nitrite levels down and to tempoarliy stop/minimise feeding till they are at an ok level. Even after that id be keeping an eye on it so that you dont get more spikes/fluctuations that you are unaware of.

I did another 25% water changes lastnight added some more Nutrafin Cycle and the nitrite level seem to drop from 5ppm to 0.25ppm but haven't checked this morning... I will do another 25% water changes this afternoon and see how it goes....... and thanks for all your suggestion guys thumb.gifthumb.gif

Archived