Staggered breeding in Americans?

anchar

Hi guys,

I have just experienced something new.....I had a batch of C. nicaraguense born about 3 weeks ago and a new spawn has emerged today. I know that many Lamprologines exhibit this behaviour (ie. stagger their brood size) but I have never heard of it amongst American species. They are all swimming together without problems. Anyone else had a similar occurence?

merjo smile.gif

i'd say merjo is talking about step (or staggered) breeding where you can have several generations of broods at once from the same parents. This occurs when the parents breed several times in a short amount of time (in merjo's case only 3 weeks).

Anthony thumb.gif

PS: If anyone can correct me, be my guest, i'm not sure if my understanding is entirely correct. I know i didn't entirely explain the process but i think that is the general gist.

Cheers Ducky, I must have missed that post. Both batches are doing well and there doesn't appear to be any signs of cannibilism. A friend of mine said her Jack Dempseys exhibited the same behaviour, so it seems that it is not as uncommon as I thought huh.gifunsure.gif

merjo smile.gif

Mine went well. Parents kept them apart until they were a similar size. Well still noticeably different but not able to be predated on. But thats about when I fed them all off rolleyes.gif So I can't comment on long term or multi-generational step breeding. blush.gif

Archived