Resun cannister

ViS

I'm a bit dim laugh.gif:

How does the self priming work on the resun ae808? I've never owned a cannister filter before.

I never got instructions with it, and when I switch it on, it doesn't start by itself.

I filled the cannister with water first, which I'm assuming is correct.

The plunger named "start" - which position does this need to be in and when should I pull it up or push it in?

Thanks for any help blush.gif

Andy the priming 'stick', you pull up and down to make sure water is flowing through the system. By priming the cannister first I think you miss the opportunity to prime it naturally, by getting the water to flow in through the inlet. I always preferred that way, but many people do it the way you have. Once the inlet and outlet tube are kind of filled (more importantly inlet) and the cannister is full, plug the unit in. You should hear the motor start putting away and see some evidence it is going on the outlet line. I used to rock my cannister back and forth once it is running to rid it of air quickly.

I had the same problem with my first canister a few months ago laugh.gif no instructions dry.gif It's not a self primer though, so any information henceforth could be totally irrelevant.

The method i found easiest is...

Fill the canister with water from the tank, reseal it, put the inlet hose in the tank, put the outlet hose in/over a bucket, and give it a suck to start siphoning the water from the tank, through the canister and into the bucket, and once it's running through and has got some of the air out, then put your finger over the end of the outlet hose and put it up into position for flow back into the tank, and plug the filter in. It now should be running and making a racket getting the air out. once it has gotten out as much air as it can in that position, i tilt it slowly backwards, forwards, left and right to get as much air out as possible.

By now you've probably mastered your fandangled self-primer-thingy but i thought this might be informative for those with a canister without one of those.

If anyone knows a better method, please speak out. I'm just saying what works and is easiest for me, I don't know if everyone else does it that way.

HTH,

Andy

DM

Andy, I think Andy... Wow this is confusing, start again... blink.gif

Dark_Morelia, I think Andy (The Andy formerly known as Hyperdive; or hyperdrive to some LOL.gif ) is trying to avoid sucking on anything. I think he is setting up this cannister as a means to run his new UV steraliser for safety from disease etc, with reports of the recent 'outbreaks'. I think taking a fair old suck at this point would pretty much ruin what he is trying to achieve. Thats just what I think anyway...

Yeah, that's why i'm now signing posts with a DM under the Andy laugh.gif so you can refer to me as DM if it makes it easier.

Well, i didn't think of that, but anyone with some siphoning experience can do it without copping a mouthful anyway wink.gif I can't even remember the last time i did blink.gif

How do people without self-priming canisters do it without sucking on them then ? blink.gif

Andy

DM

Well to answer a couple of questions:

I think the self primer is faulty dry.gif

I ended up getting it going by removing the inlet hose and switching on the filter. I then started pouring water from a large cup into the inlet (which luckily faces upwards). Eventually the water started to be forced out of the outlet hose, and then I simply put the inlet hose back on and let the motor and syphon effect do the rest.

And yes I was trying to avoid sucking on the hose laugh.gif

Thanks for the replies.

I use one of these

user posted image

It came with a fluval canister filter I bought many years ago. You stick the blue bit in the end of your hose (no jokes please) and squeeze the bag below (still no jokes please) a few times.

it starts the syphon without your mouth going anywhere near the hose.

Has anyone seen these? Do any of our sponsors sell these?

very handy for the old difficult to prime cannisters.

Yes I used it for my old-school fluvals when they were running, and now use it to start my water-change syphon.

The last time i sucked the end of my hose (leave it alone ducky laugh.gif) to start a syphon i ended up inhaling a bunch of stuff that had blown or crawled in there since my last water change. My hose stays out the front of my fishroom, and i suspect i ingested a bit of dirt and a few bugs/spiders that day.

My squeezy friend is now present for all water changes wink2.gif

Archived