Keeping malawis with cuckoo cats

hungsta

craig,6 cm is too small for cuckoos to breed yet.i wouldnt keep them with those fish myself.i think maybe the cats could disturb the fishs breeding even at young size.

at adult size cuckoo cats go better with a larger mouth cichlid such as electric blue,lithobate,or even aulonocara peacock cichlid.

a mate of mine has had four breeding cuckoo cats and heaps of e yellows and e blues in a standard 6footer with no major problems, in saying this a few spawns will be disrupted but not all.

10 cuckoo cats on the other hand might cause as greater interference especially in a smaller tank, what size tank are we looking at?

I have 8 in my display tand and they are about 10cm long. When my fish breed in there - the eleongatus, hongi and saulosi, the cats go crazy. I have even taken out some cuckoo fry that were swimming around.

So.. its their nature to steal the fish eggs and they will do it. That doesn't mean the fish fill stop breeding or that you won't get any fry. You will get fry but in smaller numbers. smile.gif

Cheers

Eventually they (the cuckoos) will halt or severely slow down the breeding process. The "hosts" get cluey as to what the cuckoos are about and stop spawning. When this happens you need to choose another host species.

merjo smile.gif

Archived