Really Hot days!

catcher

G'day all,

These really hot days always make me a little panicy about what to expect when I get home from work. It's just that feeling that It's a little bit hotter than the last hot day and are the fish going to cope. I did loose one small dimi on the last one but there is no way of knowing whether it was the day or just fate.

It must stress the crap out of them. I suppose short of a chiller set up on a thermostat you just do a water change and fingers crossed.

glenn

At what temperature do things start going down-hill? I guess it is the longer at a higher temp the worse it is but for say a 24 hour period of elevated temperatures, how hot can the fish stand before they start to show effects?

Cheers,

Scienceman

G'day

I don't know how hot the tanks need to be before the fish show signs of stress (depends on the species of fish as well) but I know that the amount of oxygen in the water decreases as the temp rises.

So therefore I try and keep as much airation as possible in the tanks as the temp rises.

HTH Matthew...

Glen,

From what I've learnt from other tank owners, I suggest you take the lids and light off your tank and blow a decent 30cm fan onto the water's surface. This should help reduce the temp of the water provided you have good water flow and surface agitation in the tank (this is the crucial element).

I place chicken wire over the top (to stop the suckers from jumping out! but plastic mesh is probably better), and I have a timer set to about 9.00am for those real hot days.

Give it a test run and you'll be surprised how it does actually work.

thumb.gif

Anyone else try this?

my marine tank is suffering the most big big big time! stuff dying all over the shop.

to combat the temp changes (it got up to 34 degrees the other day - URGH!) i've been doning a few tings.

firstly, keeping the room it's in as cool as possible. all blinds closed and windows only open to assist my evaporative cooler.

also, had a fan on te surface of the water. leads to massive amounts of evapouration tho. like at least 1cm a day!! but this combats that a bit.

cause only the fresh water evaporates off, the salinity levels are getting higher.... kill 2 birds with one stone. freshwater iceblocks! i've been freexing milk cartons of freshwater and putting half an iceblock in every 12 hours or so. it melts, brings the temp down and also tops up the waterw/ freshwater, therefore combatting my rising salinity issues.

i will be investing in a chiller for sure tho.

my cichlid tanks, on the otherhand, have been getting iceblocks too. but that room is staying relatively cool. again, no tank lights, no direct sun into the room, and yer.. fingers crossed really!

Grace

haven't lost a single fish but yeah i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

what would the natural water temps be in lake malawi, lake tang, in central and south america etc.

i'm sure we'd be dealing with pretty hot temps there aswell.

i guess the best bet is to keep an eye on behaviour, feeding, poos etc.

My tropheus tank has been at 30 for the last two days now. thats with lids off and fans blowing across the top off it. and to top it off, we had a black-out for two hours this arvo....But the fish are doing well.

Josh

You turn you heaters UP in summer?

That defies logic IMO. My heaters are OFF. The overnight temp can be as low as about 21-22 in the tanks. So when my tanks get a hot day to cope with, say room temp of 43 degrees, it begins its heating from a lower temp and doesn't get as high. I noticed on the last few hot days, my fish room tanks fluctuated between 22-28 during the day, my bedroom display tank still has its heater on and it reached 30, from a low of 24. This is despite the fact that my bedroom is open to the AC in the rest of the house and is actually cooler than my fishroom. Both had a 6 degree fluctuation but since the fish room was cooler overnight that 6 degrees was less worrying. If you get the same 6 degree variation starting at 29, youd reach 35 at lunch time huh.gif

ps. I haven't lost anything ever due to overheating thumb.gif Just super airate tanks cool.gif

Archived