Fish tanks & Human diseases

novafishy

Hi Andy,

I think it would be overkill I was thinking the same thing bigger the better but I was told 6w good for 4 ft -6 ft where the bigger ones do bigger systems.

I would go 11w if you are doing a few tanks eg same trickle system.

If you are going to go tank to tank 9w is plenty to do the job. I have mine running with a 403 and 404 cannister filter and I change the filter wool as soon as I go to a new tank then clean the canister with salt and hot water.

Maybe im parinoid but I'm not taking any more risks. After using the UV I have noticed the fish are happier and seem to be eating more. (and no scratching also). If I would have know how and what it could do I would have brought them earlier.

And to answer you question Cichlid_KB I would be as it is found in water there have been cases of this from just going fishing where the water quality is poor and getting this Mycobacteria from handling fish with fishmb. By having a UV Sterilizer in your tank it reduces the chances of you getting nasty pests in your water. It also controls algae.

You may never come across anything like this in your lifetime of keeping fish but with the new fish here and some people's poor water quality there is a chance it could get in your water at some stage.

Do you want to risk it.? It got me and I'm very careful with my fish and water. I dont use gloves but the way I started my syphon by mouth has stopped and adding a UV has reduced the chances of me getting sick again.

HTH

Brett

Guys,

Just curious and this may be a silly question, but shouldn't the shipment of Psuedo. msobo Mgunga have been quarantined and shouldn't that have picked up and eradicated the disease?

Cheers

Richard

Hi Guys,

I know that most things that come in don't stay in quarantine for all that long. How do you think they get new fish into the country ATM.

The people that get them in Dont want the fish in there possession for that long.

Straight in straight out.

Why do you think most people lost there Labidiochromis perlmutt. Over 100 came in and at least 65 went belly up. Most people that had alot of experience lost them also.

It's nice that the new fish are here but alot of shortcuts are happening and heaps of fish are dieing. That is the risk some of us take. Sometimes it works sometimes you lose.

HTH

Brett

Mmmm, quite scary really.

IMO this disease has the potential to impact the entire hobby/aquarium industry. Can you imagine someone entering the hobby if they knew that by keeping fish they ran the risk of becoming increadibly sick as crabros has? unsure.gif

I just hope that this thing doesn't spread - things could get quite nasty...

Cheers

Richard

Once brett gets the results back from his biopsy, we can start discussing what to do next.

Hopefully it won't all be bad news.....

Geez...I would never have thought such a disease was possible. I have been in the garden and in my fish tanks most of the weekend. Cuts all over. I mostly wash my hands before I put my hands in the tank, rarely after. Although the article doesn't mention whether this can be more or less prevalent in fresh water. unsure.gif

All my fish room has now been tested ALL CLEAR. I only had 2 6ft tanks that housed the Msobo in them with this bug Mycobacteria being present.

They think I have Mycobacteria marinum or Mycobacteria fortuitum.

Brett,

This statement got me VERY INTERESTED. How did you test your fish room? I have a confirmed MB infection in some of my tanks and I am worried the rest may have despite my care in nmot cross contaminating. Any way to know they are/aren't infected would be very handy.

Thanks,

Dean

Hi Guys,

I simply took samples of water with tank numbers on them to a vet that knows about fish.

I have numbered all my tanks in my garage to record data eg gh and kh and temp even when I cleaned filter's and did water changes.

When I do water changes I use a bucket for just clean water and one for waste water so there is no chance of contamination.

I also have uv sterilizers going also now.

HTH

Brett

Ah, I didn't realise that they could test for it from water samples. Is it possible to test it ourselves with say a decent microscope or something?

I do the same with clean/dirty buckets and a set of equipment for each group of tanks but I transfered some plants before I found the MB so I might have transfered it that way.

PS, I hope everything turns out well for your illness.

Thanks,

Dean

Hey Crabros

best of luck with infection, you must have been unlucky to get it..

i did some reading on M marinium (as you probably have, for other that haven't)

it is a oppertunistic pathogen so only really gets in if you have cuts etc, or are a tad immunocomprimised

like most mycobactria it is very slow growing, for most mycobacterium medical culture takes up to 8 weeks, it can have a 13 hour replication speed (very slow)

it has a pretty big infectious dose, ie you need to come in contact with a fair amount not just a few cells,

can be a bugger to shake if you arn't 100%

other more commonly heard of mycobacterium include tuberculosis, and leprosy, and a bird variety (avium) so they have the potential to be nasty. but all are treatable (eccept a few new forms of antibiotic resisitant turburculosis)

Again hopefully it all works out and you are well again soon..

IMO this disease has the potential to impact the entire hobby/aquarium industry. Can you imagine someone entering the hobby if they knew that by keeping fish they ran the risk of becoming increadibly sick as crabros has?

I suspect this is a bit of an over-reaction. With out taking anything away from the severity of Crabros's illness, it has to be emphasised that this is a very rare illness. You are more likely to be seriously injured while driving your car than by keeping fish. Does that mean we are all going to stop driving, I doubt it.

This is not a new disease, we learnt about it 20+years ago when I was in medical school. You can catch it from almost any body of fresh water, if you are very unlucky. 20 years of practising medicine and have never seen a single case.

By all means people should be careful and raising awareness of hobby specific problems is always worthwhile, but to quit fish keeping because of it would be an over reaction to such rare condition. sadsmiley02.gif

Cheers rolleyes.gif

Brett

Yeah - you could be right Brett - it may be an over-reaction. I certainly hope so. wink.gif

Why do I think this is so serious? Because of the incubation period - it doesn't manifest until sexual maturity...Can you imagine how many tanks could get infected by an active fish breeder if they're not aware their tanks harbour the disease?

Wait a minute - I just realised - if they're sexually mature then you'll pick up the symptoms and before you sell the fry! Woo hoo, we're all safe woot.gif

Certainly strengthens the argument of not linking all your tanks together!

Anyway like I say - hope you're right smile.gif

Cheers

Richard

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this u from the dead but i noticed a little bump on my middle finger today(like a wart). Do you reckon I'm being paranoid? Or, does this sound like the beginning of fish TB in humans? Its a round bump no bigger than 4-5mm in diameter. It feels hard and boney. the skin in top is whiter than the rest of my skin.

Luckily my auntie is a dermatologist, so if it is this little nasty Ive identified it quickly and can get the right antibiotics for it.

I was increadibly paranoid the other week regarding this...I pulled off the quick on my finger (as you do), then did some gardening (hands in the dirt) the next day. A few days later and my finger blew up (turned out to be a common infection).

I was freaking out thinking that this fishy disease had got me huh.giflaugh.gif

Hi Guys,

Well after being under the knife and being cut 4 times 2 in the right place and 2 in the wrong place to remove lumps only one had concern.

After the biopsy it was confirmed the one in my elbow was Mycrobacterium fortum.

Now next Monday Im going in to remove the other 5 lumps and go onto medication.

Now I swear by my uv sterilizer to remove nasty little bugs.

Have a nice day

Brett

Archived