waif fish!

catcher

Hi all,

I've had a colony of Kadango Red fins for nearly a year now and they are all good except one female that has never really put on body weight. Her frame has grown but she is, and has always been painfully thin, you can see her skull shape through the skin. She eats, isn't as active as all the others, and doesn't seem to get picked on, but at the same time has been this way for ages. Any ideas?, would it be a parasite that has just confined itself to her, or is she just a skinny very fish?

Everything else in the tank is ok.

cheers

glenn

Helo maz,

She has been like this (skinny) for as lond as I can remember. 8-9mths. The weird part is , as I said before, she has grown but never put on fat for want of a better description. My guess for age would be 15mths oldish. One other thing percular to her is when she is idle in the water she floats nose up where all her brothers and sisters are horizontal (normal) or ever so slightly nose down.

If it's a sickness should she be removed from the tank? If so my only problem is my other tanks all have well fish in them, It may be sacrafice one for the good of all maybe?

glenn

I had 1 fish like that in my display tank, the scull was really visible and the body started to look banana-shaped with the sunken belly.

I treated the whole tank with a general all wormer and increased the water changes on this tank for a few months.

The fish came good, and treating the whole tank meant none of the other fish caught it.

The fish in question is now fine and has regained shape too.

I can't remember the brand of the worm treatment, but I bought it from petbarn and it comes as a bottle of white pills which you dissolve in water before adding to the tank.

BaZ or Fins,

I've rung two LFS and both said they don't stock "general" all wormer. Any clues for where I should go?

glenn

Mine came from Petbarn I think, but the site Fins has directed you to has a product which sounds similar (and it's one of our sponsors too smile.gif )

Aqua Master Fluke & Tapeworm Tablets

For thw control of Flukes (monogenetic trematodes) and Tapeworms (cestodes)in ornamentalfresh and saltwater fish.

Each tablet contains Praziquantel 100mg.

Use 1 tablet per 20 litres of aquarium water. Repeat after 7 days to prevent re-infestation.

Fins was right about the Praziquantel thumb.gif

the site Fins has directed you to has a product which sounds similar (and it's one of our sponsors too)

Oh! How coincidental! laugh.gif

Baz,

Your's is probably called Worm Rid by Aquarium Science? Same med as the link I posted, just different label.

People, make sure you get the correct worming meds. There's another med for different worms mainly for scale/gill flukes. Active ingredient is Trichlorfon. This is NOT for tapeworm. Please read the bottle. Some meds are dangerous to certain types of fish and snails.

Archived