pond filter

tykita

the green water might not be a filtration problem. If the water is stagnant and in direct sunlight for a long time, it will go green very quickly. I cant answer the filter question, i know nothing about pond filters. Do they have the pond filtered atm? I would try to get so sort of watewr circulation happening and see what that does

Josh

IMO the best filtration for a pond is a large pond pump running a line into an above pond trickle type setup. Just a bucket which the hose can run into filled with scoria thumb.gif I have setup numerous ponds from natives to goldfish using this very simple system and they all run well and clear for life thumb.gif (well at least so far they have, I am not old enough to make life time guarantees woot.gif )

Green water though, perhaps you need to have something erected to give the pond a bit more shade and less hours in full sun?

In my experience, pond filtration set ups work best with a UV steriliiser fitted. You can get these as separate from the pond filter or buy integrated filter/UV set up.

Brands vary but 'Pondmaster', 'Hozelock' and at the premium (but very good) end 'Oase' and 'Blagdon' spring to mind.

Ponds are just bigger aquariums really.

the uv rays of the sun will eventually kill things , but it is accompanied by strong light which will encourage green water,a uv steriliser on the other hand uses a very low wattage tube and will kill everything on exposure(including algae spores)to answer chris's question- uv will kill green water but a nicer way is some water lilys, thell soon spread across the water suface and shade and therefore kill the algae in the water underneath . another useful plant is water hyacinth which shades the water and robs the algae of nutrients. green water is a natural part of a maturing pond and can last up to a year , but will always clear eventually. one thing for sure is that no amount of filtration will clear green water, and changing the water or using products like pondclear will make things worse ,it will work in the short term and then come back worse than ever(my 13,000lt pond is still recovering from a 100% water change) if you have fish and need filtration use a hozelock pump(plenty of spares) and a filter available from pond shops, you can also make filters from all sorts of plastic cotainers. i hope this has been of some help-good luck

Hozelock quality has gown deon over the years and their replacement parts are very expensive.(i.e. a filter sponge for a Bioforce 4500 $60). In terms of filters I would recommend Oase. They have packages where a pump, filter and uv are sold together and that make them a little cheaper but their still expensive.

You can make your own but in my experience unless your going to do some design and construction your not going to achieve satisfactory results. Take my example.

My cousin and I have very similar pond sizes, 3000L. In his case he's built a large concrete/bezel block filter and it it about 3m x 1m in size. I use an Oase Biotec 5 which measures 1m x 50.

We have similar feeding regimes yet my fish grow faster and are more colourful, I have crystal clear water all year round, he has problems in summer trying to keep the water crystal. The total cost of his setup:

Concrete and bricks $100

Filter material $200

Water proofing material $100

Piping and related equipment $75

Time and labour off and on 3 months

For me

Filter $350

Plumbing $50

Archived