general hardness and carbonate hardness

Guest bigjoe001it

Hi,

Simply put GH is the amount of calcium (Ca++) and magnesium (Mg++) ion concentrationsthat are dissolved in the water. The concentartion of these ions (and others) is dependent upon the source of the water. Hard water (>200ppm) is high in Ca and Mg, whilst water (50-100ppm) is said to be soft.

KH is the measure of carbonate (C03-) and bicarbonate (HCO3-) ions dissolved in water. Carbonate harness (also referred to as alkalinity) helps to satbilize the pH in the aquarium. An aquarium with a low KH (say 50ppm or less) will tend to be acidic. If the KH is very low, the water is subject to rapid pH shifts (so monitor it carefully).

HTH :angry:

merjo

My rule of thumb is simpler than that (all my poor brain can handle I'm afraid)

GH = where your pH is

KH = how likely it is to stay there :angry:

A high KH means your pH is likley to be stable, which is a good thing regardles as to the pH you want (African or American water).

The GH is dependant on what fish you keep, ie. Africans = high pH, Americans = low to middle ph (6 and below).

Craig

Craig - I dont agree

GH refers to something not directly related to pH.

It refers to the level of calcium and magnesium ions dissolved in the water. The more ions dissolved - the harder (GH) the water.

Just to confuse you, ions of the the element "iron" can also have a limited effect on the hardness of the water. :rolleyes:

Cheers

WW

The more ions dissolved - the harder (GH) the water.

Isn't harder water normally alkaline?

I add Epsom salts to my water change barrels for the GH (to get the pH up there), and I add carbonate hardness generator (KH?) to stabilise the pH.

Is my understanding/usage incorrect? Or am I talking at cross-purposes?

Craig

Hi craig -

Epsom salts are generally derived from magnesium sulfate. Depending on how they are manufactured - they can contain other elements, but the vast majority of epsom salts will be magnesium sulfate. So when you are adding epsom salts - they will add a lot of magnesium ions into your water - making it "hard". This will also effect the Ph - as you are adding sulfate to your tank. Sufate ions will bring about a small shift down in ph (acidic) so i doubt that the substance you are adding to your water is "just epsom salts", if it is making the pH rise. It probably has some other stuff mixed in with it.

The addition of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), to the water will increase both your pH and the buffering capacity (KH) of the water. Calcium carbonate (eg oyster shells, calcite rocks) will have the added bonus of increasing carbonate hardness and Calcium ion concerntration (GH) .

I agree with WW, the way i always remember it is,

GH = Salts - magnesium and calcium in the water

KH = Buffers - measurement of carbonates in the water,keeps ph stable

Archived