Wet/Dry filters

Johan767

hi,

ive got a 800L tank with two overflows and was just wondering whereabouts the best deals on wet/dry filters are and whether it would be better to just make one myself out of an old 4 foot tank i have no use for.

any opinions welcome

thanks.

Johan

Hi,

I'm actually getting a 4' x 16" x 18" sump made for my 6' x 2' x 30" which also has two intakes. The sump has two compartments, ie. one for each intake, that will have bio balls. it uses a glass diffuser and the pump will be central. Although I haven't picked it up yet or seen it, I've been assured its a good design. I'll probably pick it up this weekend and then test over the next few months.

I was also considering making one myself out of a 4' tank, but this one seemed reasonably priced, brand new for $230, and a lot less hassle and time which I don't have! The best thing about it is the lack of a spinning arm, where the main cost is in creating one.

Hope this helps, PM me if you want the details of where I'm getting it from.

With regards,

Clinton.

Hey there Johan,

Do you mean like this:

user posted image

user posted image

The sump is no more than an old tank with two dividers at each end. Not hard at all.

cheers

glenn

sorry to hijack you post Johan

Glenn in those photo's i cant see any wiers. Do you have the back off you tanks drilled our are you using and skimmer/overflow setup? the sump looks good, nice and basic

Josh

Hi Nigel,

I can't see any pre-filter material above the bio-balls. What method of pre-filter do you use?

To answer you Josh, I have the top back corners drilled for a 40mm gravity return down to each side of the sump. They are positioned 50mm down from the top edge and 50 mm in from the side walls.

cheers

glenn

Its a barrel union. Its there so i can take the lid of the mini reef without pulling all the pipe work apart. Thay unscrew and come apart in two piecies and i can just lift the lid of the mini reef.

Archived