Electricity Usage/cost calculator

D6C1

Does anyone have a link or a way to calculate the cost of electricity used per year they can share?

Thanks

Hi Toufic,

It may be best just to wait and see?!

My last quarter bill went up about 2 and a half times - I blamed the bills prior to that as being estimates. However, since then I think I have 2 more tanks running so I must say I'm a bit worried about what the next one will be.

You seen my set up when you bought the ornaments so you can measure that against your own. Have you increased your lot?

Cheers

Shirley

G'day Toufic,

If you're comparing the Fluval to the Ehiem, wouldn't a comparison of the electrical specifications for the two units give an indication?

I'm no expert on electrics but I think it's the wattage that will give you the clue.

I think the FX5 is rated at 48 watts to move 2300lph.

Cheers,

Lee.

the fx5 vs the eheim equilivant. Fx5 cheaper 2 buy .lose of power when filled with media. Costs more to run. Eheim costs more, maintains lph, cheaper to run..

Can't remember where the comparison was done. I think it come up on another forum. Pleco fanatics .

hth

As copied from http://www.algone.com/energy_consumption.php

How to Calculate Your Aquarium's Energy Consumption

To calculate the energy consumption of your aquarium, you will need to know the watts per equipment and the overall running time. The running time of the heater can either be observed in measuring the actual running time or by estimating. 15 minutes out of every hour (6 hours total per day) for lower temperatures or 30minutes out of the hour (12 hours total) for higher temperatures. This will of course vary greatly, depending on your room temperature.

Watts multiplied by hours will give you the daily wattage per equipment. (1000 Watts equal 1 kWh) The cost of 1 kWh can be found on most electric bills. The cost of one kWh should be calculated by adding up all the rates that end with “per kWh (that will include the transmission, distribution, and generation charges).

The Formula

Watts x hours x kWh cost x 30 = monthly electrical cost of the aquarium

The exact usage of electricity for each piece of equipment can only be determined by actual readings using an ampmeter, which measures the actual energy used and not the energy based on the maximum output. The formula will provide an approximate cost only.

cheers

You can get a energy meter from the state government for $60 if you live in Queensland. It will give you the actual running costs of your house. Just run turn your aquaruim gear off take a reading then turn it back on and subtract the difference. If your no in Qld then there is several different brands around you can get different places. I know J-Car have one that can be used on 3 phase power where the Qld gov. one can't.

OR

Don't worry about it and blame the missus and kids for leaving the lights on or A/C running. :lol1:

G'day Toufic,

Trying to work out the cost of running fish tanks eh?

There are some things in life we're better off not knowing - just blame the airconditioning! :lol4:

Cheers

:lol3::lol3::lol3:

But I like Lee's rational and fault assigning.

My rule of thumb has been 1 Watt = $1 per year. Very basic but will aid in working out running costs when comparing filters for example. Eheims are always more expensive to buy but they have very low wattage compared to most (all?) equal sized models, and they don't/rarely break down. I'd rather pay more to purchase and get the difference back over the years in running costs than to buy cheaper and run the risk of breakdowns.

Craig

I have a FX5 and a Eheim 2260 on my 6x2x2 display tank. They are both rated at 3400 lph, but the Eheim is a much greater beast when you see them both running. The Eheim is 65W compared to the Fluval which is 48W. In a few weeks my running costs will be greatly reduced. Only 4 small air driven tanks in the shed and the display. I highly recommend side drop filtration for cutting costs. If my cichlids could live in 8C temps my power bill would be very very low. In tank heaters are the greatest cost of all for me.

I have a FX5 and a Eheim 2260 on my 6x2x2 display tank. They are both rated at 3400 lph, but the Eheim is a much greater beast when you see them both running. The Eheim is 65W compared to the Fluval which is 48W. In a few weeks my running costs will be greatly reduced. Only 4 small air driven tanks in the shed and the display. I highly recommend side drop filtration for cutting costs. If my cichlids could live in 8C temps my power bill would be very very low. In tank heaters are the greatest cost of all for me.

The eheim was more power hungry than the fluval?

I cant afford a bigger eheim now, so looking at FX5 for my 6x2x2 combined with my ehein 2028. Currently have 3 canisters and an internal running on it.

What you think of the FX5?

FX5 is a good filter, but not great if you have a sand substrate. I have modified mine to include one koi matting layer and I have a micromesh bag over the intake to stop sand getting into the impeller. Until I did that I had regular siezing of the impeller due to sand being dropped into the intake by my trophs. As stated earlier, Eheim's flow rate is rated with media and the FX5 is an empty rating hence the larger wattage to the 2260.

You can get a energy meter from the state government for $60 if you live in Queensland. It will give you the actual running costs of your house. Just run turn your aquaruim gear off take a reading then turn it back on and subtract the difference. If your no in Qld then there is several different brands around you can get different places. I know J-Car have one that can be used on 3 phase power where the Qld gov. one can't.

OR

Don't worry about it and blame the missus and kids for leaving the lights on or A/C running. :lol1:

i got mine for $40 from jaycar. i was at bunnings the other day and i think they $30 ones that were very similar.

In tank heaters are the greatest cost of all for me.

hi Shane

if your shed is well insulated, seriously consider reverse a/c.

even with all the increases in charges over the last 3 yrs, my current bills are lower than pre a/c bills.

also great for those 38+ days -- makes working in the shed more comfortable as well :thumbup:

Archived