Leaf litter for dwarf americans

adamgatt

Hi all

I have reset a few of my tang tanks as I want to venture into dwarf americans. 😎

I am setting up 3 american tanks and plan on getting rams and apistos. I want to add some leaf litter for water parameters and also decoration, however, I am looking for something more economical than buying almond leaves.

Does anyone know if using gumtree leaves and bark will have a negative impact on water quality?

Cheers!

I was just about to make a post asking this question. Was also looking at almond leaves but due to how much they cost might look at getting an almond tree. Banana leaves is a good idea but might be too big. 

In regards to other leaves such as eucalyptus will they be ok if they are old / dried? 

Thanks all for your responses. I will have to keep a lookout at parks, etc nearby for them.

Skippy, I thought the same thing as you re eucalyptus oil in gum leaves which is why I posed the question. I actually put some in a tank for 2 days before posting and put the canaries (guppies) in to see if it would effect them but it didn't. I put them in for water parameters, but also because I like the effect it has on the breaking up the lighting in the tank when they are scattered floating on top. They sunk after 24 or so hours though. :( 

I have cherry shrimp outside and the gun leaves fall in and they are all doing really well still. Not sure if this helps but shrimp are usually sensitive to things and they are thriving and breeding. 

Thanks, Sicj. Very interesting. 

On a side note do you leave your shrimp outside all year round? From what I briefly read about cherry shrimp a while back I thought they were very delicate with temperature? Is that not really the case? 

I couldn’t help myself on the weekend and I picked up some apistogramma pairs for the tanks. I’m enjoying observing them, might need to make room for another tank or 2 for some more. 😎

201F987D-5ABE-4072-BD61-B0A1183E7F21.jpeg

On 27/11/2019 at 4:25 PM, sicj said:

Hi

yes they are outside all year round and survive perfectly fine  

I do find they breed a lot in the warmer months though  

Awesome. I might try getting a few for a spare tank and see how they go. :)

• 2 weeks later...