Growing fry, together or seperate

I have filled too many of my tanks with breeders or things i want to breed etc. Now that I'm finally producing fry I'm running out of room for growing.

What do most of you do grow fry in species only tanks or all together?

My fry species are Venustus, E.Blue, Lion heads, B/Nose, Flavus, Dimi Strigatus & Mainganos. Are there any of these that should be kept seperate or throw em all in??? Please share your experiences.

Cheers Couchy thumbup.gif

leave the bristle noses were they are until they are about 2cm or better.

apart from that i keep like sized fry to gether, it means that th efatsre one will need to be removed to other tanks if they get nasty, but usually i just throw all in, but in a bigish tank, 3x2x18

I keeep all my fry together at the same size unless the species look too similar... then i keep them in a seperate fry tank. If you keep more than one species together you should know at a glimpse what fish is from what species or else you need to seperate them out into a speperate tank.

I have had problems with Maingano killing less aggressive species (mostly my red empress), so I make sure they are the smallest fish in the fry tank and separate them completely when they are juveniles. Bristlenose are separated until they are about 3cm. Otherwise I keep them together according to size.

Liz

G'day Couchy

To answer your question. They all go into the same tank if they are roughly the same size. Unless you cannot tell them apart! Or a species is or becomes agro. Keep your water quality high though, there is nothing worse than losing your fry do to a stuff up on our part (Speaking sternly to myself atm blush.gif )

To be honest the best solution is to become afflicted with a common problem around here M.T.S.!

Thats right Multiple Tank Syndrome

Simply obtain more tanks thumb.gif . Then your problems will all be solved tongue.gif

Sometimes you really have to plan what you do and do not breed. Congrats on all of the success with your breeding. clap.gif

cya

To be honest the best solution is to become afflicted with a common problem around here M.T.S.!

Thats right Multiple Tank Syndrome

Simply obtain more tanks  . Then your problems will all be solved 

Done and done. I have 20 but it is simply not enough. I want more and bigger ones.

I have bn's with everything unless they are going to eat them (I am thinking of calvus). I also try to consider how aggressive the fry are when feeding You want ot make sure that everyone gets a share. But as Matthew said you must keep water quality up.

cheers

rosco

I try to grow all mine out in their own separate tanks. This makes it easier to catch them later for sale, and also makes it easier to count them if you need to smile.gif

However I currently have maingano in with yellows because I'm running out of space like most people here.

I keep Mine serperate "were possible"

As there is aggro in fish eating habits as well

Zebras gulp everything down while peacocks and such pick at there food

this should also help with fry growth rates

But due to having to many fry at times I have to mix

Therefore I would try and mix the fry on levels of agression and eating

Hope that helps

Cheers

Craig

It is a matter of trial and error, and learning what can be mixed with what. For example as a rule of thumb I have found that when very young Tangs and Malawi can be put together, but as they start to grow, the Tangs are out competed, and have to be separated.

As mentioned what ever you put together, you have to be able to tell apart, but be wary of food competition as Craig said, and aggression issues between different species and how these interactions vary and change as the fish grow.

Just one more thing you have to learn about.

I keep species of fish dependant on what they look like as fry.

I don't have the pleasure of many fry tanks, so I ned to mix fry.

Currently my fry list reads (excusing full names):

msobo

maingano

petro chitimba

t. chilumba (similar colour to msobo but different shape)

t. chitande

phenochilus

perlmutt

fryeri

yellow

polit

cobwe

All very easy to distinguish once 1cm or bigger. Every few months I catch everything out and put just one or two species ranging from 1-3cm in the same tank. I only have 6 sections in 2 tanks to divide them into. Has worked well for me so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Well today i bit the bullet. I combined all my 1cm fry into my main grow tank. The list includes Venustus, E.Blue, Flavus, Maingano. In my other grow tank i've combined all my 2-4cm fry which include E.Blues, Venustus, Kandango reds, Dolphins & E.Yellows. So i guess I'll learn which fish can go together. Hopefully I'll be able to sort out more tanks before they grow much more woot.gif I'm sure the Misses won't mind.

Cheers Couchy thumbup.gif

I didnt want to make a new topic so posted here.

I want to take out my black occie fry from their parents 2ft tank and place them into their own. The reason for this is because the fry are growing, and starting to become territorial themselves. The parents have just bred again and there are new free swimming fry in the tank. I was wondering if i should catch out all the fry (roughly 30 or so) and put them in their new tank or do the easy way, by just catching both parents out. Only thing i am scared of is the parents may stop breeding if placed into a new tank. I highly doubt i wil lbea ble to catch out all the fry and not miss any. Any shelly breeders out there know of a method?

cheers; Richard

Archived