YoYo Loach

static

Hi,

any one have any experience / advise  in keeping these? As I have just added them to my community tank.

Troy

Hi these are great fish, I can only say that u make sure ur tank is completely covered and take no chances as one of mine jumped out of tiny gap in corner before.

I dont find them aggressive as mentioned in some websites.

Ive kept them with aggressive cichlids like convicts and now im keeping them with angelfish and other community fish.

I really enjoy watching my yoyo. Hes in a tank with some rasbora and a nannochromis. He cops a few hits and then chases the rasboras. I went to some shops today and during the weekend. Id recommend buying them from Lams or Auburn. They just seemed so much nicer in colour.

Adam

I had a group of 8 (about 3 years ago) in with two pair of G. surinamensis and 4 juvie S. jurapari. They chased them non-stop, constantly "feeling" them. They were very annoying to the other fish (in that particular aquarium). I never tried them in another tank - instead they went back to the LFS.

Andrea smile.gif

• 7 months later...

I had two but one escaped with my Spiney Eel my other one is quite reclusive now but still looks after itself he/her is in a tank with Dwarf african Mbuna and wont cop any hassle from them he chases them he is also very very good for snail control..

he not agressive but stands up for himself i dont know how he would go in a tropical tank but in my tank he does fine.. thumbup.gif

Hey I realise this is an old thread but is it true that loaches need a diet of high protein? I was hoping to stock either some clown, or yoyo's in with some Pseudotropheus but won't if they do.

i keep mine in with african cichlids and they are fine, and have grown heaps since i got mine so must be doing alright with they diet they have

Loaches eat anything. They eat pellets, frozen blood worms and love figting my plecos for algae discs!

Keep their bellies full, and you'd have a very happy active loach!

craig, they sure do control snails. i use them in my fry tanks for snail control. had heaps there, now have none. just moved them between tanks as needed. found it best to keep them in groups of 2 or 3 though, they dont do so well alone.

• 1 month later...

Something I want to know is, do they raid substrate spawner eggs during the night? If so I'll move mine. Also how does one catch a loach out of a planted tank? I'm thinking a kind of loach trap might do.

Get a 2lt soft drink bottle and remove the label. Next remove the neck of the bottle so that you have a wider entrance. Make a second cut where the bottle is the widest (just above where the label was). Invert the top of the bottle inside the body to form an inverted funnel. Add a bit of food inside to get the loaches to go in and they cant swim out quickly when you reach into the tank to fish the trap out.

Gerard

Thanks for that. :) I think I may attach string to the top of it and then I can quickly reel it in. I also did a bit of research on the 'Net and found some piccies of bamboo pole traps that they use to catch them from the wild so that is another possibility.

Archived