Americans in Sydney

Azedenkae

Hey all! I'm currently living in Queensland, but may be moving to Sydney soon.

Just wondering what sort of americans are commonly available in the Sydney region? I assume stuff like Convicts will be readily available - as they are basically readily available everywhere, but what else? Super Green Texans? Red Devils? Jack Dempsies?

I reckon I know of everything you've listed being around.

If you come down, make your first stop Labyrinth Aquarium - Andrew has nice stocks of the usual and some unusual Americans going through.

He is doing a great job of tempting me in to more tanks...

Kewllllll will definitely visit Labyrinth Aquarium.

yanke - Are they the same Salvinis that were sent down there from Qld? A number of high quality ones were shipped down there recently, donno if they're the same things.

Btw, I heard that umbees are quite common down in Sydney, is that true? Rarely see Umbees up in Qld...

Labyrinth (there is that name again) had some umbees not long ago.

Not sure on the source of the little salvini I have seen around lately but they are showing very good yellow and solid markings at a small size. Was very close to picking some up but had to remember I don't have any tanks.

u need a 2nd house atfer the wife fines out u have more tanks lol

like mine said 1 more tank and u be sleeping in it out side lol

i only have 18 running at this time

and i got the salvinis at the nswcs raffle

last months

yanke

Ouch. >.o One display tank sucks. Can you do multiple tiers tho?

[EDIT]

Additional question: Are there many Texans (Herichthys cyanoguttatum) down in Sydney? Not (Super) Green Texans (Herichthys carpintis), but the species with the smaller pearlings and all that. I asked around up here and only one person had a female until a few months ago. Another has a single male... :(

Paul think careful H. carpintus are always labelled as Texas

H. cyanaguttatum are completerly different in their pattern

and I haven't seen one for many years ............ that's not to

say they aren't still around

having said this there are aquarium strain carpintus and also

there is the Escondito varient

I always worry when we have type varients that one or both

eventually be absorbed due to lack of care in the hobby to

correctly ID species because of the use of common names

you only have to look at the surinamensiod Geophagus species

they get labelled as Surinamensis or ahhhhh red horseface :wallbash:

you ask the I have no idea LFS assistant what species of Surinamensis ?

and they look at you as if you have just stepped out a blue police box

that suddenly appear from nowhere .......... labour is cheap knowledge isn't

steps off soapbox :grrr: It's OK I'm a member of Team GOM (Grumpy Old Men)

Yeah, H. carpintis and H. cyanoguttatum are completely different species, and H. carpintis are unfortunately commonly labeled as 'Texas Cichlid' here in the Aussielands. :( And both are commonly referred to as 'Blue Texas' as well, which complicate things. :/ People don't realize that they commonly have is a Green Texas - or rather, the 'Super' variation a.k.a. H. carpintis var. Escondido. :/

But yeah, actually when I ask up here in Qld I didn't get any actual pics, so 'am not sure. Lemme ask to see if they have pics of their 'Texas Cichlid'. Hopefully they actually do have H. cyanoguttatum. Not a big fan of them, but would like to see them around anyways.

Tho from what I can tell, all the strains of Green Texas seems to be of that of the Escondido variety, judging by the pearling size and pattern, and coloration. Many of the common store varieties do color up anyways, I've seen those that seemed drab(ber) but then colors up nicely when they transfer hands. Green Texans aren't the most outgoing species of cichlid out there (varies from individual to individual), so yeah. I actually did think there would be other varieties like Lahilla, the ones with the smaller pearlings and possibly lighter coloration.

Archived