safe wood for tanks

Dragon_Lord_Tia

Hello!

From what I understand, Bay Tree is deadly - apparently it has cyanide in its structure and Camphor Laurel is much the same.

If you can find a good source of old wood (ie most places west of Lithgow where land clearing has been going on for about a hundred years - Bathurst and beyond is better), then you're home and hosed. In a lot of these places, land clearing stopped before WWII - so there is a lot of old, dead, sun bleached wood lying around. Just remember to ask the property owner before you go onto their land to take wood - most of them don't mind in the least if you ask to collect a little 'firewood'. Sometimes they will ask for ten bucks... but that's nothing compared to what an LFS will ask for one small piece.

Just remember to follow the usual sterilisation and tannin leaching methods for safety's sake.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Trees develop toxic compounds, usually esters, which protect the tree from insect or fungal attack. If you find an old dead tree full of termites you are pretty safe, other wise it would kill the termites. Most stringbarks are OK as are wollybutts :) . Avoid all softwood. Most native hardwood that grow around Sydney should be OK.

How is ironbark??

A mate is wrecking his jetty soon and was complaining about having to dump it... I reckon his lot would be well salty as it has been in [a place on the harbour] for a long time.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Hi,

If the jetty wood had been treated with something to retard erosion under marine conditions, it could be harmful. Also, wood collected from some areas, esp. near river banks, may have been sprayed with herbicides which target brambles, wild blackberries and other exotics. :o Best to collect from areas as suggested by above forum members.

merjo

You're right...

Thinking about it, the ironbard piers and planks may have fuel contamination, let alone all the other things that may be been in the harbour's water in the last 70 years.

Looks like he's going to have to dump it or put it in a fireplace. ;)

Cheers - OziOscar.

Looks like he's going to have to dump it or put it in a fireplace. :)

I seriously doubt burning would be a good idea; it would only release all the chemicals into the air.

Good point Poe.

I will advise against it and just suggest dumping or re-use in the gardens.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived