Species identification?

OziOscar

Hello!

A while back I was fihsing with a chum on Lake Macquarie near one of the hot water outlets and some guys nearby caught a largish (45 cms) catfish.

What kind was it? What kind of tank size and conditions would have been necessary to keep it in captivity (if it would indeed be OK to keep)?

Needless to say, it went back in the water.

Cheers - OziOscar.

PS - Yes, it is ironical that I both am a fisherman and an fishkeeper. :): Gf never lets me live it down. :D

Dark skin, some mottling, four barbels...

Hard to see as it was in the middle of the night.

I thought someone may have a rough idea of what species there are lurking in that area.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Just a punt in the dark (but it was night time) Arius graeffei, (blue catfhish, fortailed or salmon tailed catfish) Yes the same species found in the LFS that have been converted to fresh water.

Sweet water fishermen curse the bloody things up here in Summer as they posatively slam lures and baits intended for Bass, Golden perch, or cod. :B:

Alan

The examples of Salmon Tailed Catfish that I have seen in LFS here have a shiny, silver, scaly body with dark tips. Does this change to more typical catfish colours as they age?

Cheers - OziOscar.

If the water is brackish, could be an esturay catfish (Cnidoglanis macrocephalus), which are usually marine. They are either a dirty yellow with brown mottling, or brown with dirty yellow mottling, eel-tailed.

Archived